Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Getting out of hand

I haven't post in such a long time , I'm 37 my phobia regarding noro virus / sick bug is at a all time high . The last few months I've been a nervous wreck . I have 2 daughters they are 7 & 3 live with me they both go to school / playschool . In recent weeks my 2 step children (they do not live with me ) have both had noro , my neighbours children both had it , a friends 3 kids (all go to school with my kids ) & now my best friends children all have / had it . I'm in panic , I'm struggling to the point I'm crying shaking , I do not want to send my girls to school or playschool today , my hands r sore from washing them . I went to my gp last week he just told me to phone some numbers for counselling so now I'm on waiting lists . I bleach the toilet after everyone goes . This fear is getting out of hand , I'm struggling to open doors in public , hold my children's hands , everything seems to b a threat , I worry all eve the girls will b sick in bed . Today my best friends daughter has come down with it an Now yet again I'm so stressed so uncontrollably anxious . I can't cope with feeling like this for much longer . I'm on 20mg of citalopram I'm a anxious person all round not just this phobia but this has taken over

Default Re: Getting out of hand

I'm sorry you're struggling at the moment. While you're waiting for counselling I think it would help you to take charge and try to tackle this phobia yourself - you have nothing to lose. Get a book on overcoming phobias and work through it (don't just read it). It's true that phobia books rarely mention emetophobia, they're usually all about spiders or heights, but the advice can be transferred to anything. It's worth a try.

Have you had a go at the Thrive programme? Some people love it, some don't. Again it's worth a try. Look it up on Youtube if you've not heard of it. Get angry at this stupid phobia - how dare it ruin our lives??!! Take some positive action, don't just wait for counselling. Good luck.

I am also on 20 mg.. and my bf currently has the bug and i was directly exposed. I feel your pain . Im 33 and it seems like the older i get the worse it is

Ive been doin the cure your emetiphobia and thrive and its really helpin esp when you have a counselor do it with you . I have a thrive dr i Skype with if anyone is interested i can pass his info