Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Noro in my household

Hi all
    I am new here, but not new to emetophobia. However where I come from 'norovirus' isnt so much of a thing, but i recently moved to the UK.
    Long story short, my housemate came down with norovirus friday evening. i absolutely panicked and was in tears and my fiance had to drag me out the house. didnt even get a change to grab any stuff.
    Weve moved in with his parents (who are not sick). He went back to the house and go tmy stuff - with strict orders to not go in the bathroom or touch her or touch his face, and i made him shower when he got home. i was scared of my own stuff for a bit, as it has been in the house.
    Its Tuesday. We still havent gone home. I tried for an hour but panicked too much. My housemate is still sick (because shes an idiot and keeps eating whatever she likes because she thinks it makes no difference) so there is still V and D in my house.

I need to go home. I really do. Her boyfriend has been living with her all weekend and hasnt caught it - however they are both convicned its not FP its noro. I keep reading online about rhw virus and researching endlessly. My fiance is super supportive and we are welcome at his parents as long as I need but i feel really really stupid.

I dont really know what response im looking for with this post.. kind of just wanted some reassurance
    xx

Default Re: Noro in my household

Hey CassJayde. I am also new here!
    I'm sorry that you're going through this at the moment! Noro was in my home just like a week or two ago, I was really struggling. My boyfriend pointed out the Noro facts on the FAQ section, you should really check it out! It helped me tremendously. Just wash your hands when you touch something that you know your housemate has touched. I'm sure you will be just fine. Disinfect everything just so you feel a bit more relaxed. Keep me updated!

Post Re: Noro in my household

Hi there!
    I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. We're here for you and understand your fear. Friday-Wednesday with v* and d*? That's not noro. 5 days with symptoms like that isn't normal. Could she be pregnant? Something else is at play and she needs to be evaluated. Anything beyond 48 hours with v*ed should be seen. I'm sure she's dehydrated at this point. Please advise her to get an appointment with her doctor. I wouldn't go back into that either nor do I think a non-emet. would. My friend is here with me for the afternoon and she shook her head when I inquired whether she'd go back home to that. You're doing fine, stay for a bit longer until she's been properly diagnosed. That's my 2 cents!

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    Hi there!
    I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. We're here for you and understand your fear. Friday-Wednesday with v* and d*? That's not noro. 5 days with symptoms like that isn't normal. Could she be pregnant? Something else is at play and she needs to be evaluated. Anything beyond 48 hours with v*ed should be seen. I'm sure she's dehydrated at this point. Please advise her to get an appointment with her doctor. I wouldn't go back into that either nor do I think a non-emet. would. My friend is here with me for the afternoon and she shook her head when I inquired whether she'd go back home to that. You're doing fine, stay for a bit longer until she's been properly diagnosed. That's my 2 cents!

*tw*
    She's stopped now: messaged me earlier today to say 24 hours with no symptoms and that she's going back to work tomorrow.
    I may never know what it was - but I am going to go home tonight. I'm out of clothes, I want my bed... I am consoling myself by believeing it was good poisoning. Her boyfriend insists it wasn't... but how could he have avoided it sharing a bed with her while she v into a bucket next to the bed?! He would have been exposed. If he hasn't caught it then I will be ok.

I think she was so sick for so long because she wasn't taking care of herself or being smart about it. When she felt ok and was hungry she wanted and had things like curry and cheese and meat!! I tried to tell her dry crackers and toast... and she says 'oh I tried that for the first 12 hours and it made no difference so who cares'
    Of course it didn't help the first 12 hours! Nothing will then! I am so frustrated about it because I don't understand how she could be so silly and careless like that. I know i probably wouldn't be able to bring myself to eat at all and that's the extreme but surely logic says eat bland???

Anyway, I'm going home in an hour or two. I will post again tomorrow... and let you all know how I went.

Thanks so much!! Xx

Good for you! I love how you're speaking logically to yourself. Bleach/water spray down the bathroom and wash your hands before eating, there's NO other way to contract it. Glad she's better and I TOTALLY agree about the fp. If he was there and wasn't being careful he would have contracted it had it been a bug. You're completely safe!

Thank you!! I'm trying to hard - going home in about an hour. the anxiety is creeping in, but at least I'm aware I'm being irrational right? Better to at least know I'm crazy! Hahaha.

I am getting CBT at the moment, so im channelling my focus into filling out a thought record sheet, which leads me to some more logical thought. Getting somewhere finally!!

Ahhhhh. Update.
    Came home from work only for her to announce that she came home from her work early cos she had been v again. I can't leave again I feel so dumb. The pharmacy said Noro can last up to a week???? I've never seen that anywhere! Always seen 2-4 days. Does anyone know?
    She took a pregnancy test and came up negative :/