Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: misdiagnosed

Default misdiagnosed

Hy everyone. I'm new here.
    So i was just wondering how many of you have been misdiagnosed with other illneses ?
    In my teens, I was so scared of v* that when it happend i just stopped eating (in my mind it was like that - i don't eat, i can't v*). So I was hospitalized and i was diagnosed with anorexia, even when i tried to tell my doctors and my psychologist that i don't eat because i am afraid that I will v* again they still just didn't listen and were asking me other questions like: why do i feel like i have to be skinny.. My mom took me out of the hospital after 1 month because she saw that i was getting worse (more depressed every day). I still can't find a doctor in my country that is familiar with emetophobia and i really don't know what to do because i would really like to go to therapy and get better. Just recently i talked to a psychologist who didn't have any clue what emetophobia really is. All the doctors that specialize in emetophobia are too far for me ( I am from Slovenia). I am okay now, i eat normal i just made myself better somehow ( i still don't know how but i did it!)
    Did this ever happen to any of you? Were you misdiagnosed with any other diseases that are not even similar to emetophobia? The worst part for me was, that i was telling the doctors all the time why i really don't eat but they still didn't listen.

Default Re: misdiagnosed

Personally I have not been medically diagnosed with anything, but because you know that your problem is Emetophobia you should get into good therapy. Keep seeking out therapists and eventually you'll probably find one that is able to research and understand your phobia. And don't forget that we're here for you as well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is accepting of your emetophobia.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

Default Re: misdiagnosed

I havent been mis diagnosed with everything, when my emetophobia was at its worst a few years back I lost a lot of weight because i was cutting a lot out from my diet becayse i was scared of getting fp, but I wasn't anorexic Unfortunately I don't think many doctors are familiar with emetophobia, which makes us emets feel much worse, because then we feel like theres not much help out there for this phobia. I hope you do find the help one day. Good luck with everything