Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Therapists

Just wondering, for those of you who have sought help through therapists, is it worth it?? Have many of you actually benefitted from seeking professional help? I am just curious - I made an appointment to meet with a Psychiatrist next week since my insurance covers it and all...but I don't want to waste my time is he's just going to feed me a bunch of crap ya know...any input would be greatly appreciated.

I went to a person and it wasn't good. I am trying again, I haven't made the phone call yet but if I feel this person can't help me or I feel uncomfortable I will be seeking someone else.
    If you don't feel comfortable than find someone else. That is the key, finding someone where you feel comfortable and who you can connect to, if that works than you may be on the road to being an non emet.

True...Honestly, I feel like I will always be an emet..I just want to be able to cope a little better. Plus, I may as well since I don't have to pay for it right?

Did yours prescribe you anything?

no, nothing at all. I have been on nerve pills since the age or 10. I have been off them for awhile and only take them when necessary.

You have to be prepared to work at it. I've been going for a little over a year, and it's helping me just to sort through things. I may never get to the bottom of WHY I have this phobia, but I get better at coping with it little by little.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I currently go see a therapist once a week and a psychiatrist once every three months. Those visits are basically for him to see how I'm doing and make sure my meds are okay. Although I get the feeling he doesn't listen to me because I told him I have severe emetophobia and he was like, "So how many times do you throw up a day?" and I was like, "No...it's a PHOBIA of VOMITING" *Rolls eyes*

As for my therapist, right now we are working on other issues that I have. There are tons of things wrong with my life right now and without getting into it you'd understand why I'd prefer to talk about other things then my emetophobia. But being in therapy has helped me A LOT. I've started eating foods that I used to be scared to eat, and doing things that I would normally be scared to do, like eat something without and expiration date on it.

I've been in and out of therapy my whole life and all together I've had 6 therapists. Almost all of them I've liked, but some of them got on my nerves and I just had to get rid of them. But yes I would definately suggest therapy. With me just having someone to talk to once a week lessens my anxiety enough to the point where I'm not thinking about my Emet all the time. But find someone that you get along with, someone who really CLICKS with you because if they don't then therapy won't work. That's just my two cents.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I have been taking my 12 year old son to a very caring Psychologist. Some of her treatmentsare with art and drawing expression. I truly believe thatit is helping my son immensly.My sonalways tells me when he hasunpleasant feelings or anxiety because of some one feeling ill at school or elsewhere. But lately he tells me that he has been feeling great at school and rarely thinks about his stomach or feeling ill.He isactualy eating more and not complaining about going to a restaurant.Needless to say that my wife and I are very veryhappyand reliefed about our son's recovery. (Im not sure if "recovery" is the correct word to use).The therapy is vey expensive but its working for him so I'll pay whatever ittakes to make him feel better. Not being emetophobic, I cannot fathom what my son or any of you are going through. I never knew there was such a thing as emetophobia until I began researching it for my son. I do honestly and truly hope that you all find some relief in some way or another. Good Luck!!!

When I was about eight the whole emet thing surfaced. I thought it was just me until recently. I have actually always been so embarrased and ashamed. The therapists have been sub par at best. In college they said I had emet because I was a latent lesbian, after that another doctor said I was just bipolar and put me on depakote which weirded me out and I ended up in the hospital, then the latest was that I was sexually abused and I had to do emdr (I forget it was eye movement desensitization something or another) well that just led to nightmares and night terrors, so I have been on my own for a while.

I have contacted the head of a phobia department so I will keep you all updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.