Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Friend had norovirus at holiday party

Hi everyone,
    I am in full blown panic mode right now.. My husband and I went to a holiday party tonight and one of my friends went into the bathroom to be sick.. She said she felt nauseous before coming to the party, and she left 2 times to v* She said she had spent time with someone who had noro a couple of days ago.......She left the party after an hour.

I hugged her hello, but that was it. Neither my husband nor I used the bathroom after her. We also did not share any utensils with her, or have any prolonged close contact with her. My biggest worry is that my husband ate some (cooked) brussel sprouts that she brought to the party. If she cooked them before showing any symptoms, will my husband get sick???? I am terrified. I had a panic attack at the party, and I begged my husband to take me home. It was awful. I'm so embarrassed by this phobia, but I can't help it!!!

I feel like I won't sleep or be able to function for the next 48 hours until I know that I don't have norovirus. This time of year is so hard for us emets, isn't it? I feel for all of you who suffer as I do.....

I keep thinking about everything I ate, and touched at the party.. I didn't eat anything that she cooked or brought. But, could the virus have been in the house? We both washed our hands thoroughly and promptly when we got home.... Is that enough to prevent it? I am so scared.

Default Re: Friend had norovirus at holiday party

You are probably okay, especially since you didn't go into the bathroom after she used it. That's where the germs would be. I think it's unlikely that your husband will get sick due to eating something she prepared before she had symptoms. I'm in a similar situation right now, as I had a dinner party at my home tonight and one of the guests became ill (she said her kids had a sv* a few days prior). I bleached everything I could, but I know I won't feel better until several days pass and nobody in the house shows any symptoms! The waiting sucks so much. Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Cutea View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am in full blown panic mode right now.. My husband and I went to a holiday party tonight and one of my friends went into the bathroom to be sick.. She said she felt nauseous before coming to the party, and she left 2 times to v* She said she had spent time with someone who had noro a couple of days ago.......She left the party after an hour.

I hugged her hello, but that was it. Neither my husband nor I used the bathroom after her. We also did not share any utensils with her, or have any prolonged close contact with her. My biggest worry is that my husband ate some (cooked) brussel sprouts that she brought to the party. If she cooked them before showing any symptoms, will my husband get sick???? I am terrified. I had a panic attack at the party, and I begged my husband to take me home. It was awful. I'm so embarrassed by this phobia, but I can't help it!!!

I feel like I won't sleep or be able to function for the next 48 hours until I know that I don't have norovirus. This time of year is so hard for us emets, isn't it? I feel for all of you who suffer as I do.....

I keep thinking about everything I ate, and touched at the party.. I didn't eat anything that she cooked or brought. But, could the virus have been in the house? We both washed our hands thoroughly and promptly when we got home.... Is that enough to prevent it? I am so scared.