Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Tips for exposure therapy?

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum so apologies in advance if I post things in the wrong places.

I have just recently begun exposure therapy for my emetophobia and my therapist encouraged me to get creative with it at my first session a few days ago. So far I have found a good website that has videos that graduate in...let's call it the "yuck factor" and that have explanations so you know what you are letting yourself in for before you press play. I have watched all of them. I am not really sure what else I can do to keep working at it between therapy sessions. I know I could look at some more videos on you tube (a bit scared to be honest) but what other "creative things could I do? My therapist did mention, for example, walking through a hospital if one was on my way but 1. it is kind of out my way and 2. I am a bit scared of exposing myself to someone who is contagious.

Anyway, any tips would be appreciated!

Claudia

Default Re: Tips for exposure therapy?

I don't have any tips for exposure therapy, I'm a mother and have been exposed to v* many times and honestly it doesn't help me. I don't get more anxious or defeated just the phobia is still there. I wish you all the best and hope someone else can help give you insight on it!

Yeah, I find exposure to vomit makes my emetophobia worse. maybe that is because it's not done in a controlled way, it is usually someone in my house being sick or someone near me saying the feel sick or whatever but emetophobia is different to say a phobia of spiders where looking at pictures gradually desnsitises you to them, until you can move on to holding a plastic one then a real one for example. It is a lack of control and anxiety based phobia that most therapists just don't seem to get so they focus solely on the vomiting when in reality I think it's more helpful to work on the underlying issues. I know personally that my emetophobia is pretty much dormant for long stretches of time (although I'm always super vigilant with handwashing etc) but when i get stressed/upset generally then the emetophobia creeps back again. I'm not knocking exposure therapy but i;ve never been totally convinced it helps all that much, apart from maybe you won't get freaked out if you see vomiting on TV or in a film.

I would be really interested to hear whether you find a way to do exposure therapy and whether you find it helpful. I am a mother too and despite being exposed many times it has not helped me with my fear.

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek View Post
    Yeah, I find exposure to vomit makes my emetophobia worse. maybe that is because it's not done in a controlled way, it is usually someone in my house being sick or someone near me saying the feel sick or whatever but emetophobia is different to say a phobia of spiders where looking at pictures gradually desnsitises you to them, until you can move on to holding a plastic one then a real one for example. It is a lack of control and anxiety based phobia that most therapists just don't seem to get so they focus solely on the vomiting when in reality I think it's more helpful to work on the underlying issues. I know personally that my emetophobia is pretty much dormant for long stretches of time (although I'm always super vigilant with handwashing etc) but when i get stressed/upset generally then the emetophobia creeps back again. I'm not knocking exposure therapy but i;ve never been totally convinced it helps all that much, apart from maybe you won't get freaked out if you see vomiting on TV or in a film.

I have been in therapy for a few years and from what I understand about exposure therapy is that there is a discomfort threshold. It is supposed to get worse before it gets better and if it feels like it isn't helping you have to keep going until it does. The reason why getting sick or having someone near you get sick might not help is because it doesn't push through the threshold. I don't really think exposure works for me yet. Truly, exposure won't work unless you are determined for it to work. Best of luck!