Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Being a Teacher

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jenny and while I am not entirely new to this site I am returning again after a year or two. I just wanted to ask if any of you are teachers and what grades you teach. I have applied to teachers college and want to go into the Jr and Intermediate Stream (Grades 4-10) i picked this age group party because I figured they wouldn't v* as much or at least they are old enugh to leave the class and go to the bathroom if necessary. Does anyone have any advice? Any policies they have implemented int hier own classroom that doesn't involve actually tellign the kids that I am an Emet?

Thanks,

Jenny

I am currently subbing as a teacher, but I'm soon to start an alternative certification program. I sub Kinder-8th and I enjoy the bigger kids simply because I don't have to do as much *explaining* --- the fact that they know their bodies better and that I only have them for about an hour at a time helps too. My dream job as a teacher would be to teach Middle SchoolSpecial Education (ages 10-15). I enjoy English and History and really love this age group!

In terms of how I deal with emet in the classroom/ school - I just say I don't deal with V*. Simple as that - I don't deal with it. When I have my own classroom, I will have a bag of kitty litter (it sops up liquid and removes odor FAST! -- another teacher gave me this tip), plastic lined paper bags, plastic bags cut open (as to act like a tarp or cover), and paper towels with some disinfecting cleaner near by --- I am going to make myself a "kit" so I can better handle the V* situation when it does happen in my classroom.

Other ideas you can use is that when a kid feels sick, send them to the nurse or place a trashcan by their desk. I also have a policy that I tell kids when they start complaining of a stomach ache (I tell kids this on an individual basis orI tell the class if I get lots of complains about a stomach ache)and know they are going to be sick to RUN out of my classroom/ grab a trashcan and step outside the doorand don't ask for permission to leave - just tell me when you get back if you are okay and I'll send you to the nurse.

Important things to remember is that medication, hunger, thirst, emotional distress, too much candy/ soda, ANYTHING can cause V* and that it is impossible to know the real cause of it all the time. It is hard with kids because often an ear infection or sinus drainage can cause the problems too. Then of course you have the kids who do IT intentionally to get out of class or out of SPITE!

Go into teaching because you enjoy teaching, not with the worries about the sickness in the classroom. Your job isn't to deal with V*, it is to educate. You will have more traumatic issues to deal with in the classroom besides having a child V* - I promise! Medical emergencies, angry parents, lesson plans that you spent hours on might fail, etc... V* should be the least of the worries and I keep on having to remind myself of this too. I love teaching and I have a passion for education.

I like the kids with hormones because they are awesome to teach - I click with them and I enjoy exploring learning and education with them. Pick your age group by what makes you the most happy, not by the age group you will fear will V* the least.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I teach in the intermediate level in Toronto. I have taught Grade 7 specifically for 4 years. I have never had anyone throw up in my classroom, but I have seen it happen in other places, like the office and on field trips on busses (I can't do those anymore). At the junior level, they still don't necessarily have an idea about thier bodies and it does happen. My friend teaches Grade 4 and she has it happen in her class every year. I have to say that I have severe emet that revolves around seeing others and I only think about vomit at school about once a week. School is safe zone for me.

I tell my students in the beginning of the year that if they feel sick to quickly let a friend know and to leave the room, not to wait too long and that they don't have to ask me to leave. I also assess the situation if a student comes up to me and says they don't feel well. If it is their stomach, I ask them if they want to lay down in the office. Some of the staff also know about my condition and I would have help in a second (and I have!) if I needed it. I also joke with them about a "no bodily fluids on the floor in my classroom!) rule and they giggle.

This age group rocks! I love my Grade 7's. They are the best and teaching is my passion. If anything, being with them makes you more tolerant of the little things.

Enjoy!

happyteacher

I'm a middle school and high school band director, and have never had anyone just outright v* in my classroom.(Once out on the football field during marching rehearsal). I also enforce the policy of "if you feel sick, just leave, I'll ask questions later". I've been lucky for 8 years. I also hand out motion sickness medicine before bus trips to kids who are prone to it. (with parent permission).

Teaching actually helps me out a lot, as it keeps my mind busy, and my emet seems to decrease during the school year and gets worse on holidays and summer. I wouldn't dream of another career.

BandNerd

Thank You All so much!! I really hope that it doesn't ever happen but you have given me some great suggestions. As you know, it would be difficult to explain to a grade 4 class that "teacher is scared of v*" so I am glad that you have helped! If you have any more suggestions, keep them coming! I knew I would implement the not having to ask to go to the bathroom rule, but the kitty litter is a stroke of genius!! I'm not sure I could get close enough to the vomit to put kittey kitter on it, but I hope someone would help me out!!

I also wonder if I would have emets in my class. When i was in grade 1 I refused to go to school for 2 weeks and could never tell my parents why. It was only after my grade 1 teacher went through her daily log with my parents for the day Ilast went to school did they discover the only thing out of the ordinary that day was that a little boy v*. Werid huh? I hope that I will be able to offer support to my class and maybe luck will be on my side.

I worked at an Easter Seals Camp this summer and I was toldthat as a Sr. Counsellor I was bound to have to deal withv*. I was terrified sleeping int he cabins with my kids, but a certain instinct takes over and you are more protective than you thought youwould be.

Thanks so much again! Happy Teaching!

Jenny

thank you for this post. i am going to college next year with the plans of becoming a teacher. i will definitly keep all this in mind!