Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Sister with Stomach Virus

Hello,
    I'm new on here and I'm really stressed. I've been a severe emetophobe since as long as I can remember. I don't like to see people be sick and I don't like to be sick myself. I'm a teenager and my younger sister, who I share a room with, got a stomach ache this afternoon and now has started to v****. Our house is really small which makes it difficult to stay away from her, also we only have one bathroom, and I haven't used it since she got symptoms. We also share a room. Last time that she got a bug was a few years ago, so I am not very prepared but I haven't had a panic attack yet, so I would say that I am doing fairly okay. My stomach also aches a little, but I know that it is just my mind creating symptoms as I am stressed. I've been trying to wash my hands alot also. The biggest problem for me at the moment is the sound of v****. My bedroom is right next to the bathroom so it is going to be difficult for me to sleep. I am planning to go to school tomorrow, but there is a big chance that I may have a panic attack. I also have an important meeting with my counselor tomorrow, and I would hate to miss it, but I could reschedule it. I'm sorry if I am ranting a bit here, if someone could help me then that would be great.

Default Re: Sister with Stomach Virus

Hey, you're doing great! I understand you because I'm a teenager (severe emetophobic too) whose little brother had the stomach bug about three months ago. I share a room with my older sister that happens to be right next to the bathroom. I got woken up cause my mom called my dad and said my brother was sick. I instantly had to know what kind of sick. It was v*. I started shaking violently and my heart was racing. The whole night i was dying with fear. Worst part was i had to care for him because both parents and my older sister work. I didn't even want to touch him or want him close to me. He had d* the whole week and it was just horrible for me. I had about two more panic attacks after. I thankfully never got sick because I washed my hands and did all the hygienic stuff. What I'm trying to say is you are doing good and with the prevention steps like proper hand washing, disinfecting the toilet with bleach or hydrogen peroxide, disinfecting any contaminated surfaces you won't get sick. Go to school if you feel that you can, if you can't stay home. Does your mom know you are emetophobic? If not tell her (my mom barely found out) so maybe you can ask her if you can stay over a close relative or friend's house. I know it's really hard and you are on edge. What I do is watch things such as movies or videos just to try and take my mind off V*, or do activities that relax me such as doodle or color. I have been really anxious and stressed too with the stomach going around so I empathize with you. If you need someone to speak to I'm here. I hope my response was at least a bit comforting. Hang in there.
    Last edited by randomperson; 02-05-2017 at 10:12 PM.