Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question HELP! Very urgent situation!

Hello, I'm Tyler, and I've been an emetophobe since I was 4, and I have the absolute worst and most intense kind, which is why I am currently having anxiety attacks and crying.
    Yesterday, I went to my piano class. The classes are in my piano teacher's house, where she and her family lives. I was there for an hour or so, and today, I found out that her husband got the (trigger warning: mentioning the s-flu word) stomach flu the same day that I was there, which was yesterday. He was not sick when I was there, but apparently he had v*mited after I went home. I didn't say anything to him, I didn't touch him, and I was not near him, I only saw him come through the door, but I did sit next to my piano teacher the whole time. She hasn't been sick as far as I know. I did not put my hands in my mouth or nose, I didn't eat without washing my hands or anything like that, but I did touch my notebook full of piano notes, and today (before I found out he is sick) I touched it too, and then I ate candy afterwards. I don't think I washed my hands before eating candy. So, basically, I touched the notebook that I touched with unwashed hands while I was at my piano teacher's house, and then ate a few sweets about an hour afterwards. I only touched my piano teacher's dog, the piano chair, and the piano when I was at her house before touched the notebook. And my piano teacher turned the pages for me while I was playing, and I turned the pages today before I ate the candy, which means that I touched the same pages as she did, and she had been around her husband. I also wore the same pants and hoodie today as I wore yesterday when I was there, which means that I could have touched my pants of hoodie and then possibly touched my nostrils. I'm not certain of that, though, but there is a possibility.

So my question is: is there a chance that I am going to be sick too? I'm so scared, I'm shaking, I'm crying as I'm thinking about this. Please, please help! Someone answer me, I'm begging you. I can't do this.

Default Re: HELP! Very urgent situation!

I hope you're feeling a little bit better. I too, am an insane sufferer from emetophobia. I've also had it since I was little, and I've managed to be v* free for 15 years. But it's winter season and the s-flu is going around like crazy, and I work in 2 restaurants. I'm constantly surrounded by people, touching their plates and cups. I wash my hands constantly and try to tell myself that I'll make it through this. I'm currently wide awake at almost 3 am, and I have to work at 10. But I tried going to bed and my stomach is turning. Can't sleep at all, and my mind is racing, trying to think of how many times I washed my hands today, and if I managed to stay safe. I think that in your case, you should be okay. You may have come into contact with It, but in another 24 hours you should know for sure. I've heard that 100% grape juice 3 times a day is a good preventative measure, but I haven't actually tried it myself. I hope you're okay, and just know you're not alone.

Default Re: HELP! Very urgent situation!

My bet is you are fine. You should observe people around you and watch how often they eat or put their hands in their mouths without thinking. It's not like he was sick all over the piano! (That would of been awkward). How many non emetophobes have shared beds and bathrooms with their sick partners and never caught it? I hear all the time that one family member gets sick and all the other kids and anyone else whose entered the home never get it. (And I bet they're not as diligent as you). I used to be that way and think about every little thing Iv touched right down to clothing. But it's just paranoia. You'll be fine