Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Am I the only one in the world that can't burp?

I'm not sure if this issue is linked to my fear of v or not. But I haven't been able to burp at all, ever.. I get this gurgly feeling and It comes up like air in my throat, but it sounds more like a frog than anything else. I've never been able to force it up into a burp. I can't drink carbonation, and I have to watch what I eat. I've tried everything in the books to help me get a burp out, from slamming pop and beer, to watching videos in YouTube, and having friends and family explain it to me. Nothing works. Part of me believes that my body suppresses the ability to belch, because of my intense fear of v. Anyone else out there that experiences what I call 'throat gurgles'?

Default Re: Am I the only one in the world that can't burp?

Oh yeah, I get those throat gurgles all the time! They kind of just creep up out of nowhere and rumble away. Unless I engage my abdominal muscles and force air out so that it sounds like a burp, those are usually what I get. I can totally understand relating v-ing with burping since they both are kind of related to force, but they are in no way the same thing. Burping alone will not cause you to v*. Forcing yourself to burp won't cause you to v*, although I'm sure with a lot of force maybe the rising of some stomach acid can make it feel a bit like it.

I'd say, if anything, you're lucky! No awkward public burps to be embarrassed about!

I dont burp often and certainly not on purpose. I'm not good at it, never wanted to. my DH burps so much and it makes me feel sick

I used to not be able to burp either. There was a period where it would remind me of being s*, so i stopped. I think i was about 13 when i stopped and then forgot how to burp altogether. It wasn't until a couple years ago when i was 24 when i tried to burp everyday by drinking carbonated drinks, and i eventually re learned how. I couldn't tell you how i did it but i did. I get less heartburn and much less gastrointenstinal discomfort now.

I can kinda purposefully open my upper esophageal sphincter momentarily by simulating aerophagia. It helps me to differentiate nausea of an illness, or stomach gas. I get anxious when I'm unable to burp and am nauseated.

I cant burp either. I havent been able to since I was very young. I usually get nervous if I do happen to burp because i think it leads to v* and then i panic.

I can't burp either. I get this weird hiccup-spasm in my chest and the "throat gurgles". I think lots of emets are unable to burp because the muscles involved are never really relaxed. This is why I don't drink fizzy drinks!

I get the frog thing! I try to get it out but it's hard! Then you do this weird thing where you put your head down to try to get it out

I don't burp a lot. I get the sensation in my stomach, and it takes at least five minutes for me to burp, sometimes longer. And when I burp, it is generally very small. I can't force them out, either...it has to work its way up.

Well the thing is, I can burp AT ALL. And I really wish I could. I get what I call throat gurgles. I swallow air and it doesn't come back up. So I bloat like fucking crazy, and there's SO MUCH PRESSURE built up in my stomach and chest, it's sometimes painful. It comes up in gurgles, and it sounds like a frog. And once it starts, it doesn't stop. It'll happen for hours on end until I can lie down, and then it kind of subsides. It's seriously the worst feeling in the world. I'd give anything to be able to burp.

Try Gas-X I'm telling you this stuff works! It breaks down the bigger bubbles in your stomach and then you can burp. It will be a lot at first, but it feels so good after!