Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Gagging in back of throat during stressful situations

Hello! I have seen many posts about this "gagging" thing, so I just wanted to see if anyone had something similar to what I have. Whenever I'm in stressful situations I get this gagging feeling in the back of my throat, thinking about it makes it a whole lot worse. Some weird things about this is, I never actually V*, or actually gag, it's just a feeling. I clench my teeth and put my tongue against the top of my mouth. I can't eat in public, only at home (this seriously kills me ) I used to have very bad emetophobia, but now I really don't care. Someone can V* right in front of me and I will be fine, but I've grown a phobia for this feeling by itself. I've had this for 6+ years, When I was young I V* and it triggered the feeling ever since. Some days I feel fine, while I'm at school or am working, I can be fine at one point, and then in another time feel horrible. I can't eat at school or work, I just wait until I get home. I can't go on vacations or long road trips because of this feeling. I haven't been to the dentist in a while because of this (good thing I keep my teeth in good shape), and makes doing nearly anything impossible. Does anyone have this? And if so, do you think this type of anxiety can be treated with therapy or something else? I feel like I should have been to a therapist a long time ago. Thanks!

Default Re: Gagging in back of throat during stressful situations

I think what causes that feeling is a tightening in your throat. I've had that happen too, and notice that it occurs when I'm tense and very anxious. Something that worked for me in an on-the-spot kind of situation was taking deep breaths in and out of my nose and really concentrating on that. Tilting my jaw up to sort of loosen my neck helped too. Just anything to stop your neck/throat from tightening up so much.
    It may be your body's way of reacting to anxiety. I definitely think that sort of thing could be helped if you're game for trying therapy. They'll likely try to find out if that's indeed what causes the feeling, and help you find ways to soothe yourself while it happens, or prevent it from happening to the best of your ability. If you do talk to someone about it, I really wish you the best and hope that that feeling goes away quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by BBopper View Post
    I think what causes that feeling is a tightening in your throat. I've had that happen too, and notice that it occurs when I'm tense and very anxious. Something that worked for me in an on-the-spot kind of situation was taking deep breaths in and out of my nose and really concentrating on that. Tilting my jaw up to sort of loosen my neck helped too. Just anything to stop your neck/throat from tightening up so much.
    It may be your body's way of reacting to anxiety. I definitely think that sort of thing could be helped if you're game for trying therapy. They'll likely try to find out if that's indeed what causes the feeling, and help you find ways to soothe yourself while it happens, or prevent it from happening to the best of your ability. If you do talk to someone about it, I really wish you the best and hope that that feeling goes away quickly!
    Thanks for the advice! I'm not fully sure if this is all anxiety or another health issue. I have acid reflux which may make it worse, I'm hoping on finding an answer.

Hey!
    Does this happen when you start thinking about being n* or being sick?

Quote Originally Posted by Arielwhiskers View Post
    Hey!
    Does this happen when you start thinking about being n* or being sick?
    Not really, I don't really think about being sick that much. Only when I have to eat or workout or do something strenuous in public. I'm sitting at home right now and I have the feeling, so I'm not exactly sure what it is :/ If I do think about being sick I can get this feeling, but usually not.

Sorry to disregard your situation, I'm just curious. You said you used to have severe emetophobia, but now you don't care. How did you overcome your fear / phobia?

Quote Originally Posted by empulse View Post
    Sorry to disregard your situation, I'm just curious. You said you used to have severe emetophobia, but now you don't care. How did you overcome your fear / phobia?
    I didn't fully get rid of it, but what I noticed (at least in my case) it somewhat goes away with time. Each year feels better for me.