Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default For those who have had *it* within the past year?

Hi all,

I was just hoping to get some perspective from those of you who have gotten the dreaded SV or FP within the past year. How did you handle it? Was it as bad as you remembered?

I last v two years ago, but it was the result of a horrible hangover. I was freaking out prior but my stomach hurt so bad that I was just desperate for some kind of relief. From what I remember, it really wasn't THAT bad. Then again it was different for me probably because I was in control of the entire situation and it only happened once. Prior to that, the last time I v* was in 2005 and I believe it was a result of FP. So essentially I have gone almost 12 years without v*, and I am almost 22 years old. I know I am just a ticking time bomb lol, but trying to reassure myself that when I do inevitably catch it, I WILL be able to handle it.

Default Re: For those who have had *it* within the past year?

I had a sv at end of September, i had nausea for a few days before I actually threw up, to behonest, it felt so much better once I, as nausea went away for a few hours, before the next wave set in, nausea was a lot worse.

It wasn't bad at all. It was a nice relief from the nausea. I'm almost inevitably going to come down with it in the next several hours of couple of days and I'm trying to remind myself that it was not a terrible experience. And it was over fast. I lived. I handled it. My phobia has gotten better.

What about 1.5 yrs?

(I wonder if anyone else remember my story since I am always sharing it on here lol)

Could possibly be a trigger warning, I really explain what was going on. Apologies in advance if it's gruesome to some.

I am not sure if it was fp or sv...but it happened 6 hrs after I ate. Everything was fine all day. Then I got really bloated...like painful "I need to take my pants off right now" bloated. I was also spaced out. I got worse and worse for about 30 min before I felt like I had to pass gas but it was actual d* that came out.

THAT was an awful, sinking feeling...but I thought, "Whatever, it's probably from the grease, it'll pass"
    I was at my bf's house and he went to visit a friend. So I was there with his parents. Well I got done the toilet...and then as I walked into his room I had horrid stomach cramps and had to go back in...and it kept happening for a couple hours.

I realized it wasn't a drill anymore and frantically went to his parents for pepto (last time I had pepto I v* as a kid) well anyway, thought it'd help. So I took a tablet and I almost blacked out from panic. Tunnel vision, tremors and all. I have NEVER been that bad. Also, at this point I hadn't even v* yet. Luckily, my cramps were easing somewhat. But bf came home and about 10 min after he was there, I got this weird instinctual feeling that I was going to v*....and I did.

It had been 17 years prior. My body legit forgot how to v*. I gagged a lot and apparently was all jerky over the toilet. My bf later admitted to holding in laughter saying "You looked like a chicken having a seizure" how nice, LOL. Anyway, it was gross. And I remember yelling (strong language ahead) "Fuck! This is gross!" over the toilet when I was done.

Part of it was my pride being smashed for 17 years down the toilet. Literally.

But really, it was anticlimactic. After that first time though, I was ready. Like I was on a mission ready. I was thinking "Yeah, yeah, let's do this!" I am pretty sure I ever said that to my bf and was almost waiting for the next round so I could prove to myself how silly it all was. I had to immediately afterwards again after my first bout. Tied my hair back, told bf "gotta puke again" and power walked to the bathroom. Did it, yelled obscenities cause really, ew, and then rinsed my mouth with water. Oh! and once the water swished in my mouth it was like any evidence of v* was gone. No residual taste or anything. So that was nice, thought I'd have v* breath but didn't. Only time that was bad was I got some v* on the collar of my T-shirt and kept thinking "where did it get to, I still smell it?" I just changed my shirt instead of freaking out. Didn't even quarantine my shirt, I just balled it up and put it in my bag and then washed it once I got home the next night (and I still wear it, it's a fave band shirt of mine despite getting v* on it)

Also prepped my own v* bucket and all "just in case so I don't make a mess" Everything that freaked me out as a kid went tumbling down...from not wearing clothes wore when I v*, to being petrified of the puke bucket. None of it mattered, I just wanted to relax and to be honest I really didn't care anymore.

Once the wondering and anticipation was gone, I felt and handled it like any non-emet would. It sucked cause no one likes to be sick but really like the others said, I just relaxed and watched movies. The d* was actually worse cause that lasted longer and kept me chained to the bathroom.

I think what you said about being in control of the situation is key!

The last time I had a stomach bug that's exactly how I made it bearable for myself. It started with me suspecting I had a bug then finding out that 10 or so people from my class had already "come down with a bug." So my first step to success was accepting "OK, you have a bug."

Then I fought actually vomiting for hours. I would sit next to the toilet whenever the urge crept up just in case I was unable to fight it but I was successfully able to prevent myself from vomiting several times. Then I reached a point where it was the middle of the night and I was exhausted from the fact that every time I'd relax and doze off I'd wake up with the urge to be sick again and then spent a while fighting that.

So I was fed up and decided "OK, I'm just going to let it happen because I want to sleep so bad!" And as soon as I made that decision I didn't really feel THAT afraid (I was still nervous because it had been 10-15 years since I'd done it but it wasn't overwhelming terror.) So I went to the bathroom and sat next to the toilet and it took me a couple minutes to actually figure out how to do it (because I had trained myself to just fight it and I wasn't sure how to stop that.) But then it finally happened and it wasn't that bad at all.

Then when it was over I felt such a huge feeling of pride that I did something that was so scary to me without panicking. Plus my nausea was gone and I was able to sleep for hours so it was great.

I've had two SVs in the past 12 months and I can hand on heart say the actual act itself, while unpleasant and gross, no big deal... As in its over so quickly. After a 17 year streak I had pretty much built this dramatic picture in my mind of how it happened, but it couldn't be further from the truth.

Seriously, from knowing it was about to happen to flushing the loo and cleaning up, can't have been longer than 30-40 seconds. The build up is worse, easily. That horrible hot, bubbly, anxious, heart racing feeling that you get with the panic of emet is 100% worse than the act itself for me.

That said, I'm still terrified of it happening again, so i do need to learn to take my own advice

I had it back in March and before that I hadn't had it in like 5 or 6 years. I was the last one to catch it in a house of 6. It was more d* than v* but still terrible. I was beyond petrified but I had to accept it and just let it happen and after the initial v* I felt proud of myself and so much better.

Now I am in over drive because we have it in the house again so I'm almost positive i will end up with it within the next day or so. So terribly scared but if it is going to happen there is nothing I can do about it.

Thanks for sharing, really helpful! Sorry if this question might lead to graphic answers- I really think I did forget how to v* since it's been so long, like you had mentioned. So I feel like if I do have to eventually v* I will have no control over when it will happen (that's what happened last time in 2013 when I v* from altitude sickness). When you know you have to v* how to do "let it happen"?

When I was trying to let it happen I just went to the bathroom, hung my head in the toilet, closed my eyes and just tried to relax my whole body and stop thinking about it. It happened and when it did it was a totally smooth process and even though I didn't want to do it again, I was glad it had happened because I felt so better