Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How to handle nights

The worst part of this phobia for me is coping with nights. I'm awake right now at 2am feeling ok but I keep thinking I have a sv. Laying here in the dark with the thoughts running through my mind with no distractions and also trying to rest and fall asleep. I feel like I'm more sensitive to my body at these times and my brain plays more tricks on me. I normally put my headphones in and meditate but my headphones aren't working so I'm at a loss now. What are everyone's tips to have a good nights sleep?
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Default Re: How to handle nights

I take dramamine at night for 2 reasons. 1. it helps w n*. 2. it makes me pass out.
    I don't recommend taking it often, but for those bad nights, it will help.

Making sure I have the ac on and a fan helps tons, something about being really cold helps me fall asleep quickly.
    There are certain breathing exercises I sometimes do as well. Breathing in thru your nose for 5 seconds, holding for 8, and breathing out for 6. It'll slow your heart rate and get you focusing on breathing.

Im the same way as you are. Nights are my worst. I become very vulnerable at night and my fear is able to take over. I have found that a cold wash rag and a fan really help me. I don't always keep the fan on, but I have it close by just in case. Probably 5/7 nights of the week I have a cold rag next to me. Sometimes I'll wake up randomly and feel very sick and anxious. All I have to do is place that wash rag on me and it seems to really calm me down. It's a life saver at times.

Actually when I had my sv and was v, I kept a wash rag on my neck--not sure if that's why it was less traumatizing that time or not, but I don't think it hurt anything!!

I too struggle with nights. It always seems I fall asleep fine only to wake up an hour later drenched in sweat with my heart racing in the verge of v*. It's terrifying and exhausting. Like others have suggested, having a cool damp rag on hand really helps. I have a little "emergency kit" on my nightstand and it usually helps to ease my nerves a little. I always keep a cool rag, some water, peppermint gum, xanax, and a grocery bag or towel on the floor in case the inevitable happens. I also have a little ritual I go through those nights I do wake up (which are often) which tend to ease it quickly enough to get back to sleep within an hour. But that's probably just the OCD getting the best of me 🙈