Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hey im jsut wondering if anyone else here has panic attacks, general anxiety, and obsessive compulsive disorder. i do and i was just wondering if its uncommon, cuz like emetophobia plays a GIGANTIC part in my general anxiety and OBC. like all my obsessions are done so i dont V- like sort of as a bargain, like i have to do my yoga routine in a certain order and i always spit in the toilet after i use it ( a lil too much infor there?). so reply if you experience similar thingies. love you all!

I definately have things I do so that I don't get sick, and if I don't do them I'm absolutely sure I'll v*. These things transfer to my husband as well, like I make sure he takes his vitamins or I think he'll get sick, that sort of thing. I'm sure it's annoying. I have OCD just from the point that I think things are always contaminated. So I'm always hand washing and stuff. I think it's very common, because I know alot of us do ritual type things in order to not get sick. I get panic attacks only if around someone who is sick, who's being sick or who was sick. Some others get them all the time. Welcome to the site.

Panic attacks are sort of what emetophobia IS. The phobic or fear response is extreme panic (some people have this worse than others). If the phobia gets too bad, it can turn into agoraphobia (fear of going anywhere) and generalized anxiety disorder (where you're just anxious all the time, or prone to panic attacks out of the blue). OCD is also an anxiety disorder, and related to emetophobia. Many emets suffer from it. It's really part of the whole kit and kaboodle, but some folks have it worse than others. The compulsive behavior calms the anxiety, but only temporarily. If one does not do the compulsive thing (like spit) then he or she gets much more anxious. The trick to treating the OCD part is to stop (slowly) doing the compulsive things, and learn to deal with the ensuing anxiety.

You should find some good help here...especially once the site gets up and running to full capacity (it's new in the past few days)

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But HOW do you do that? I think alot of the things I do are general hygiene things.

Psychotherapy (especially if you find someone who specializes in, or is very familiar with anxiety disorders) will help you to deal with the anxiety around NOT doing the compulsive things. You may indeed only do compulsive "hygeine" things...because they make you feel better - calm your anxiety. It may not be bad enough to be labelled OCD. But it could be right over the top. Everyone's different.

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

heya, welcome to our family.

i certainly had OCD pretty badly. took up a lot of my time, just touching this and touching that. now, its not as bad, but i still hav a certain line i hav to say in my head if i think something bad is gunna happen (esepcially if its v*ing)

anyway i also had a lot of panic attacks before, because i had general anxiety disorder as well as emet. they've kinda calmed down a bit now.

sorry im really depressed today, dont think iv got ne words that mite help you

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

I have agoraphobia and clausterphobia. Mostly branched from my emet. Since we left the city my agoraphobia is calming and I am on a med to help.

I have a lot of ritualistic things I do to ensure there are no germs or things that will make me or my family ill. I am always cleaning out the fridge IN CASE someething might have gone bad. I don't use anything that (most likely is fine) might be out dated. I javex all the time. ESPECIALLY after chicken. I bleach my hands and the counters and anythignt that was in touch with the chicken. Then I bleach the sink and utensils all while using HOT HOT water.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

thnx for ur help guys. i got the OCD down now, i realize many others have that but im still insecure about the panic attacks and general anxiety. i have panic attacks all the time at least once a day, and the most prevelant symptom is nausea, i think its anxiety-provoked. i dunno if i have emet wrose than some of u or not, cuz no one else seems to have as many panic attacks as i do and that makes me feel a little strange. do any of u worry that u r crazy??? i do because ive yet to meet someone with as much anxiety as i have. if you have major anxiety PLEASE contact me. i want to feel normal.

WoW~ am i needy and pathetic or WHAT? oh well, contact me. i love to hear from u all.
    Omnia vincit amor. -- \"Love conquers all.\"

sage~ r u an emet, a former emet, or a psychologist? u give sooo much useful info!

No you are not unusual. I use to have them every day as well. I don't think I had a day that I wasn't nauseous when I was anxious. I discovered that it was being in the city away from anyone I knew and everyone I cared about. I had at the time abf that didn't like me being with or visiting my family so I felt very alone.

It got to the point where I JUST made it to work and home again but that is all I was able to do because everyday I had an attack.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

You are definitely not unusual or crazy. Anyone with this phobia has probably had anxiety attacks and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It kind of goes along with it. I have had them for years, but they are much better now because I have had some counseling and also take an anti-anxiety medication. I only take that now when I get really anxious.

Periods in my life have been worse than others and it sounds like you are really having a rough time right now. It can get better. Maybe you need a little medication to get you over this rough spot and then could check into seeing someone to talk to.

I have had rituals that I have gone through to ensure that I will not get sick. That is much better also, but at one time I was very obsessive compulsive.

My situation was VERY extreme at times, much like yours sounds now. There were days when the anxiety never went away all day. After dealing with many of the issues that caused it, I am better.

Now I am trying to get rid of the phobia completely. I have had some very good advice from Sage and am pursuing a different kind of therapy which I hope will help me get rid of it once and for all.

You are right to question Sage and very smart to have realized that she is a very good resource. I'm sure she will tell you about herself and her journey. She has been right where you are and has been cured of this phobia.

So, don't think you are strange or odd. Most of us can identify with everything you are talking about.

Good luck!
    Debbie

i used to have a panic attack about 5 times a day wen i was 11 years old. so, trust me, you are not wierd, to me, ur a lovely unique individual. infact sumdays, i wud hav panic attacks that wud LAST a day. and the sad thing is, i was too young and anxious to talk to anyone about it, so it just manifested itself, so now i have control of panic attacks, but iv got a loada others problems now instead

do you get ne kinda professional help? about ur panic attacks at least? cos i know how exhausted a day can be wen u panic so much and i dont lke to hear u are gonig thru tht pain

tke care

Jen xxxxxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

yeah i go to counseling for the panic attacks. i only started haveing them this summer. once on ly way to tennis practice and once while i was down in south carolina. they were VERY mild compared to what i have now. everything started flaring up but i think thats because my therapist and i uncovered a lot of layers. as i have said in other forums, im still in school and thats when im most anxious. im recently going through a transition of therapists though cuz mine is moving to school work. sometimes i wish i could just stay home all day, but i am still anxious at home, tho a least i can eat here, i cant eat away from home. ithen i think i wish i could sleep all day, but im even anxious in my sleep! i have an appointment with a meds doctor later this month. i hope it helps me, but i dont want to become dependent on it you know? thnx for urreassurance everyone. especially for ur ocmpassion, jenneh! i will get back to u on how im doin k? i hope u all get over ur fears too!this site is a life saver, im tellin ya.

Jak,

Thanks for the kudos. Check out my new signature line. ...so I don't have to explain it to people who ask me stuff like "what grade are you in" - lol!Edited by: sage

congrats for being fully treated LUCKY!!! hehehe[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Ya...thanks, (I guess). I try not to put "lucky" and me in the same sentence, though. The lucky people are the ones who live life without every having this horrible disorder, or any other. For me, it wasa lot less luck and lot more hard work, perserverence, time-money-and-energy, and the willingness to go through hell to get better. I AM lucky that God gave me the gift of all those things, though. Definitely.

what an outlook, girl. yeah, those are the lucky ones. read my post in experiences ttoday its embarrassing.

does anybody have any advice on how to calm anxiety down?

Depending on where you are I have a few tricks. One is deep breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth (that works for me) Mental visualizationcolors and places that are your calm place. I will spray scents in the air that are known to relaxe people like Lavender, lilac, vanilla. Soft music or earth sounds. Eliminating caffein in places you know you are going to get anxious.

Relaxation techniques are great, and I highly recommend them, as always. But the thing is, once you start into a panic attack or "anxiety attack", you can't really "calm it down". Oftne just TRYING to calm it down results in sort of resisting it and that makes you more afraid. Sort of like being afraid of the fear - and that's worse than the original fear, if you know what I mean.

The best thing to do with a full-blown anxiety attack is once you feel it coming on, just be aware of it. That's all. Just "notice" it. Say to yourself - oh, ok...here it comes...my heart is racing, my mouth is dry, I'm sweating, my stomach feels sick, my throat is tight...whatever the symptoms are. Remember that vomiting is NOT a symptom of panic. You will not vomit. Once you can "be aware" of the symptoms, you will notice that the attack rises to a peak, then dissipates. It doesn't usually last more than 10 minutes. RESISTING IT, however, can just bring on multiple attacks. And I do understand that for emets, often you can stay in a state of elevated anxiety for a long time. But really, trying to "go with the flow" makes much more sense than resisting. ESPECIALLY if you can tell yourself this stuff when the attack just starts. Then it's less likely to get to the "OH MY GOD!!!!!!!..........." stage.

Anyway, give it a try - especially if nothing else is working.

oooooo~ im always afraid im gonna V-

Ya but you WON'T. And your experience in the past should prove this to you. Think of all the times you've been AFRAID you'll vomit, but haven't. The more experiences like this you can rack up, and THINK CONSCIOUSLY ABOUT, the better you'll get.

Blessings!

but how do i know if this time is the same as the others? what if i really V- this time?[img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

I have found you WILL know. What you are use to experiencing isn't quite the same feeling you get when you are actually going to V. I know easier said than done. I have yet to conquor that one. I was in the car as a passanger (rare occurance) andI was sure I had all the symptoms of car sickness and nausea and I managed to convince myself for about 30min that it would just go away but I game in.

The nausea is different I noticed that the last time I was ill both times from pregnancy once from labour) and all 3 times I felt the same but it was a lot diff from the EMET. I am sure there is someone that can verbalize what I am trying to say.

ok ill try

I guess the older you get, the more you get to know. I realize a lot of people on this site are teenagers, and it must be so hard for them, just barely out of childhood really. And kids have no idea they're about to vomit most of the time. Add a PHOBIA to that, and of course you wonder every time if "this is it".

There are some concrete things you can do to address this, however. When you feel ill/nauseous you can take CAREFUL NOTE of your body symptoms. How EXACTLY do you feel? Jot down a list. Is your heart racing, sweating, dry throat, tighteness in chest, dizzy...etc. etc. etc... Even analyze each symptom. What kind of dizziness? Is my head spinning? Can I walk straight? What is this REALLY like...stuff like that.

So the next time (often the next day for serious sufferers!) you can make another list, then compare the lists. If all the symptoms are "checked off", then guess what? The result will be the same! (NOT vomiting!)

As Melikasa says, you'll know the difference eventually, but no one can really put it into words because everyone's different. If I listed the REAL symptoms for me on this page, y'all would probably experience them out of anxiety (for instance, someone told me once the REAL indicator was salivating a lot...so guess what...out of anxiety I started salivating a LOT...but STILL never vomited -- the brain can conjour up a lot of physical symptoms, it's amazing.)

Give this a try. It's sort of "cognitive therapy".

Oh man yeah it is amazing how the brain works. the power of suggestion is amazing.Good idea actually to write or make note of the symptoms and the outcome. I have actually found that that works. I use to get a feeling where I was Sure I was going to be sick and made mental notes about the feelings and discovered that it was at night and when I was laying down AND that I NEVER got sick with these feelings so I don't freak out now when I get that feeling. I just prop up my pillows and sleep that way or do a few puzzles or read and it goes away withouth an attack.

i used to do that and now my body always does these symptoms whether i V- or not! any more suggestions?

so 99.999999999% of the time when you have these symptoms, you won't vomit. Why be scared ALL THE TIME for something that only happens once in a BILLION times you have the symptoms?? (This is the kind of self-talk you need to be doing, instead of saying, "ya but...") Ya-buts are what make us phobic. Clear, positive statements that we're ok make us well.

Another way of looking at it is that your response of anxiety, worry, or whatever won't stop vomiting anyway. So again, WHY BE SCARED ALL THE TIME when you can't do anything about it anyway?

This is how I got over my fear of flying. My therapist said, "yes planes crash sometimes. But why would you think it's logical to therefore be scared all the time? Freak accidents happen when people walk down the street sometimes. But are you scared walking down the street all the time?" (of course not!) Being scared all the time doesn't help you onboard the plane, nor walking down the street, nor at home when you feel dizzy, nauseous, or just a bit "off".

Keep working on the positive self-talk!

ok gwen isgonna help i believe. today i just started on zoloft and it takes about a month to work i hope it helps u know?