I guess the older you get, the more you get to know. I realize a lot of people on this site are teenagers, and it must be so hard for them, just barely out of childhood really. And kids have no idea they're about to vomit most of the time. Add a PHOBIA to that, and of course you wonder every time if "this is it".

There are some concrete things you can do to address this, however. When you feel ill/nauseous you can take CAREFUL NOTE of your body symptoms. How EXACTLY do you feel? Jot down a list. Is your heart racing, sweating, dry throat, tighteness in chest, dizzy...etc. etc. etc... Even analyze each symptom. What kind of dizziness? Is my head spinning? Can I walk straight? What is this REALLY like...stuff like that.

So the next time (often the next day for serious sufferers!) you can make another list, then compare the lists. If all the symptoms are "checked off", then guess what? The result will be the same! (NOT vomiting!)

As Melikasa says, you'll know the difference eventually, but no one can really put it into words because everyone's different. If I listed the REAL symptoms for me on this page, y'all would probably experience them out of anxiety (for instance, someone told me once the REAL indicator was salivating a lot...so guess what...out of anxiety I started salivating a LOT...but STILL never vomited -- the brain can conjour up a lot of physical symptoms, it's amazing.)

Give this a try. It's sort of "cognitive therapy".