Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Any updates on the norovirus vaccine?

I guess this is kinda off-topic, but I just wondered if anyone has heard any news of the norovirus vaccines (Takeda injection and Vaxart oral tablet) that went into clinical trials last year. I've googled and nothing came up, so I guess not, but I thought maybe someone else has more information - my "google skills" are not the best.

I'm so eager for it to get completed, although I'm not even sure if I would dare take it when/if the day comes, lol.

(PS. I'm sorry if the noro-word triggered anyone.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Any updates on the norovirus vaccine?

I have a strong suspicion we're going to hear something really soon. The Takeda website have given some hints that things are looking really promising. One such hint was this:
    https://www.takeda.com/who-we-are/co...jeev-venkayya/
    Every place that the vaccine is discussed used to read 'early stage' vaccine. The verbiage has switched to 'late stage'. We know that they invested a lot of money (as did the cruise ship industry) in the trials that began in August. Now that the Noro season is ending they'll be able to assess how the vaccine faired. We also know that they were doing a lot of 'tweaking' in Dec.
    I'm really hopeful and I don't say that lightly!

Oh, that's great news. I hope it will come to the Norwegian market too when/if it's completed in the (hopefully) near future!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know that there is a rotavirus one that is almost complete, but adults don't get rotavirus or things very mild. I would also be afraid to get it because I've heard of people getting the flu shot who get the flu. When i say the flu I mean the real flu the fever/chills, sore throat, congestion with no stomach stuff.

Please click the words "norovirus vaccine" in the box "tags for this thread" near the bottom of the page to access our previous discussions about this.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Another note to add to this thread...about a 12-18 months ago I saw a job post on Takeda's website for a strategy position, and that role was responsible for overseeing the roll-out and marketing of the vaccine. So while I am sure that a roll-out of this magnitude takes a long time to get from start to finish, it's at least progressing forward.

It really is, kit buddy! Much faster than a typical vaccine which is awesome. There are so many hotel lines, amusement parks, cruise lines, etc. dumping $$$ into this so there's plenty of funding (thankfully!).

I worry about the first gen of the vaccine though. First, my heart goes out to the brave souls who have to test it.
    And also to the first people in line to get it - because there could be reactions. That's my main worry and a reason why I never get flu shots. A know the amount of virus that a vaccine puts into you is not enough to make you ill but this is, afterall the caddy of Viruses we're dealing with. It's some ridiculously low number that rapidly multiplies that get one ill.

So while I have my fingers crossed, I am also very cautious. I probably will wait for awhile before I get a noro vaccine

No, what I REALLY want are glasses that give me the ability to see noro particles so I can avoid them...lol. And a soap/protectant that keeps them off my body. Hell I'd sell my soul for either of those things.
    IES Backup Forum (est. Dec 2016)

benzalkonium chloride in hand sanitizer is what you want to look for as the regular alcohol ones don't protect you much. I use Germblock, I also heard Zylast, germstar noro

Quote Originally Posted by LAnn24 View Post
    benzalkonium chloride in hand sanitizer is what you want to look for as the regular alcohol ones don't protect you much. I use Germblock, I also heard Zylast, germstar noro

Oh lol I have about 30 spray bottles of Germstar Noro. I try to order new cases every winter.

How has the Germstar been working?

Well so far so good I suppose, lol. I also wash my hands a lot, but when I started at my job and my emet was lower, I just used germstar before eating lunch (sandwiches and chips with my hands) It's tricky since you'd have to practically put yourself at risk without washing your hands to test how good the germstar works but let's just say I have no had any issues. Smells minty, too