Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Constipation

Yes, I know we all get it from time to time - but when I have trouble with it, I get N* and I gag. It is awful. My stomach hurts the whole time and I do not believe in taking medication to relieve it (except when I know I'll end up the ER in a matter of hours if I don't take care of it at home). I also get a loss of appetite.

Anyone else? How does being constipated imact your emet? It makes mine go insane... because the pain and the N* and then the urges to V* until I can get the constipation under control, which can take days.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

is this a common problem for you? does it happen a lot? it was for me until i was diagnosed with IBS. irritable bowel syndrome. now i take medicine and it never happens. i'm new to my discovery that i have an actual v*phobia, and in my research i've read that sometimes IBS and emetophobia can be related.

yup I suffer from it as well, makes me feel VERY s*,and I got for up to a week,very bloated and n*.

I dont believe in taking anything for it either,never have,just let it work its self..

mind you I find although its hard doing a little more excercise when I start to feel my IBS starting sometimes helps.

It effects my emet in so many ways,anxiety,n*,never have v* ive always manage to get it working before then and that usually takes well over 2 weeks...

But yup another person who suffers from it.

xVx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have self-diagnosed IBS. I have always had problems like this, just not recently. Stress and my diet have probably screwed my system up big-time. I was diagnosed by a doctor as having "nervous stomach" when I was growing up.
    FACEBOOK ME --

I don't usually get constipated (pretty high fibre diet and lots of excercise) and when i do, strangely enough, although it is uncomfortable, it is kind of comforting to know I don't have a Stomach Virus because then I would be having direrreha. I know this sounds stupid, but sometimes, that is my logic.

Jenny

P.S I suck at spelling, I truly apologize for and misspelled words and typos...arghhh

purpleteacher...stress and diet always made things worse for me as well. i find that i feel a lot better when i stay away from sugar, caffeine, alcohol. soda especially makes me feel ill. but i find that even when i watch my diet, etc. i still feel uncomfortable and naesous a lot. like everyday. even if i'm not constipated. so i feel that prescribed medicine is the best choice for me at this time. is there a reason why some of you are so opposed to medicine?

Hi All,
    I, too, get constipated and have IBS. But yes, sometimes at night it bothers me and wakes me up, which starts a panic attack because I think I am sick. It is a lovely circle. I take an Rx called Miralax. I mix it in juice every other day or so. My doc says it's safe and much better than laxatives, which can ruin your intestinal workings. Ask your doc.

I too have IBS, and I take fiber pills to help with control it. Plus
    exercise, and eating good. Eating correctly, like not having three
    huge meals, but 5-6 smalls ones, and sleep really helps with my ibs.
    I find with my constipation it will end with diarrhea, and then become
    normal. Does anyone else have it happen like that? And yeah it
    makes me emets worse too, and the anxiety and stress dont help in
    trying to go.
    I love Sam

I have IBS with constipation too and it makes me feel miserable. It also makes me worry that if it's not coming out of that end that maybe it will come out the other end. How stupid is that???!?!?! When it gets really bad I will take Milk of Magnesia. Gross but works quickly and not a stimulant laxative. I also take fiber therapy to help with it. I figure the more that goes out that end the better.

Kim

<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->
    It does come up the other end if you're really badly
    constipated. A friend was hospitalised because of it, but she was
    constipated for at least three weeks before anything that disgusting
    started happening.

I couldn't let it go for near that long. After a few days I have to take something and poop. I start worrying if I don't. Not to mention being uncomfortable and/or stomach pains. But mostly the worrying. Sometimes I'll get these stabbing pains like I have to go but just can't and I'll break out in a sweat and then get nauseated and nothing will happen. It's just awful. I'd rather just take something and go and get it over with.

Poop Potion: Mix

1cup of bran

1/2 cup of apple sauce

1/4 cup of prune juice

(not as bad as it sounds... doesn't taste great... but works)

try eatting popcorn also
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

I bet that would work. My Grandma swears by prune juice. I remember one time years ago I called her because I was so miserable and she told me to drink a cup of warm prune juice and eat some raisin bran. I didn't make it halfway through the bowl of cereal! But it's so hard to get down. YUCK Your mix doesn't sound as bad as straight up prune juice.

Popcorn does nothing for me. I eat it all the time and nothing.

Kim

I drank some water and was eventually able to "go". I just now have the side effects from being so stopped up... ugh... My digestive track is all off.
    FACEBOOK ME --

When my system has a traffic jam, I start feeling n*. After about 3 days, I
    start feeling n* and then I panic. And then I realize what the problem is. One
    time, I was sick and I got dehydrated which inevitably leads to my tummy
    putting on the brakes. About a week and a half later, I was in so much pain
    in my tush that I thought I had hemroids. I called my mom and told her that
    I couldn't even sit flat on my bum at work. She suggested that I just had an
    impaction and that I needed to get an enema. YIKES! While I was at the store
    buying an enema, I felt like I could go. Thankfully I was pretty close to home
    and I didn't need to give myself the enema... That would have sucked.
    [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I used to have really bad constipation- bloated, bad cramping, etc. I used to take laxatives, but didnt like the fact that they worked a little *too* well.

I found a really good solution- I eat a lot of dried fruit- prunes and apricots mostly. It never fails- eat those in the afternoon, and be evening you start to feel gassy.....then *whoop- there it is!*

Now I have another problem- now instead of being constipated, I end up with diarrhea at least 4-8 times a month. I dont think its related to the fruits- as it often happens when I havent had any for a few days.

Any suggestions on how to deal with that one?

*amber*

Absolutely. I have it often and it's the most frustrating thing!

I find that lots of water helps.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Water seems to be the cure-all for everything. Not that I would know because I am the world's worst about drinking it.....

Kim

i drink A LOT of water and still have IBS. i'm on Miralax as well and I find that it just keeps me constant. I don't have to worry as much about what's gonna make me go or not go or if what i eat is going to make men* or not. i've even stopped checking expiration dates on food as much as iused too. when i go home i don't ask my mom how long ago she bought the yogurt. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] i feel it's really helped me with a lot of my emets "problems." i mean, obviously i still worry about other people, but not about myself as much, because i hardly ever feel n* anymore. i'm SOOOOO glad i went to a doctor about the IBS.

amber....you could have IBS with diarrhea. not quite sure what helps with that.

There are several things on the market that claim to help with IBS - with constipation and/or diarrhea. One is called equalactin. I have tried it but not on a regular basis so I can't really tell if it helped much or not. It seemed to help some with that awful cramping but not much with making me go. What is Miralax?

Doxilover,
    Miralax is a prescription laxative that is what they refer to as an osmotic. It is very safe to use for long periods of time. It doesn't mess up your intestinal tract like strong laxatives do. You can ask your doc about it; I needed to see a GI doc, though. I use it every other day or so. It just keeps me more regular and comfortable. You can mix it in our new favorite, cranberry juice!!!

Oh...I've mentioned my constipation/IBS to my doctor and he hasn't recommended any prescription drugs to me about it. Probably because I take so many as it is - haha. He just told me to take fiber supplements.