Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Finally got an appointment

I finally managed to get in contact with a private psychologist that has time for me. The waiting lists have been insane and I even got a decline note some time ago - the therapist just didn't have capacity.

So anyway, I got an appointment on May 26. It may sound like a long time to wait, but in the public health care system the waiting time is like 6-12 months, and as I said, most are packed.

I'm very nervous even thought it's a whole month until the appointment. I'm worried if the psychologist has even heard about emet, and if she will propose v* as a solution. You know, the usual things we worry about.

Just thought I would make a thread and keep it updated on how things progress.

~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Finally got an appointment

Heyo Bleue, don't be nervous - these people are here to help! And most do. My therapist wasn't sure what emet was but when I told him, he was quite open to helping me in organic ways (restructuring thinking patters/CBT) not many will force you to v* and if they suggest exposure therapy to those lengths, they clear it with you to make sure it is okay to do so - they cannot force you into anything. That would be counter productive LOL. Also I personally think forcing v* is a bad idea, unhealthy and doesn't work *most* of the time. I'm sure for some it does work but for those who have deeper issues, it only relieves emet temporarily if anything at all.

Your Doc would want to address the problems that caused your for fear v*. Not the v itself

Congrats on getting the appointment! First appt may be odd as you are getting to know this person but it gets easier as time goes on. Also don't feel discouraged if you don't feel the doc is the "right fit" sometimes people have to go through a couple to find a doctor that will address their needs or "gel" with them.
    IES Backup Forum (est. Dec 2016)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

congrats! if they suggest exposure therapy, be weary. it may take some time for them to get that this phobia is NOT the same as others and must be treated differently.

good luck! it's coming in just a few days!

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! Unfortunately I realized quickly that the therapist is not the right person for me. Sadly that's how it is sometimes with therapists. I haven't been able to find a new therapist yet, and my personal economy/work situation doesn't allow me to go private again. It sucks, but that's how it is right now. On a positive note, over the sessions I did have with her, I realized that simply observing/writing down my thoughts and feelings when I get anxious help A LOT. I have had ONE panic attack since the first session until today, which is amazing for me. So I will continue keeping my "anxiety diary", and surely the therapist has been of some help after all, but I just couldn't keep going when the chemistry wasn't right and I wasn't able to open up. Does that make sense?

My life situation being what it is right now, I've decided to focus more on self-help/recovery atm - although in TINY steps, lol.

Anyway, just wanted to give a small update and I hope you all have been okay!
    Last edited by bleue; 06-11-2017 at 07:30 AM.