Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I cannot get this sv out of my house!!! Help and moral support, please!

A little background--my kids are 8 yo and 5 yo, and both of them are in school, so both are pretty regularly exposed to germs. I am currently living in an emet's nightmare, and I want to know if you all think this is the same virus that just won't leave, or a couple of different bugs.

Two weeks ago, my 5 yo daughter woke up sick about 3am on Sunday. She v'd a couple of times in the bed, I showered her and cleaned up with bleach and Lysol products. She went back to sleep and slept about 5 hours straight. When she woke up, she was running a 101-102 fever and complaining of a headache, which we treated with Tylenol and Pedialyte. By that evening, she was taking Pedialyte well and eating crackers. She woke up fever free on Monday but still had no appetite. She had another v*episode on Tuesday night after drinking a glass of milk, and then 2 d* episodes on Wednesday. By Thursday morning, her appetite was back full force and her poo was normal. During this same period, my son had a headache and low-grade fever one day, but no v* or d*. His symptoms resolved into nasal congestion/cold symptoms by Thursday evening. Nobody else had any symptoms.

Fast forward to this past Friday, 11 days after my daughter's first v* incident. My son came home from school with a stomachache, fatigue, and "acid burps" (which I take to mean some kind of reflux). He had a violent v* episode that evening, around 9 pm. No fever, no headache. He slept the night through, and his appetite was back by midday Saturday. One episode of d* early Saturday morning, and then nothing since.

As an aside, two of my son's friends were sick with the same symptoms during the EXACT same timeframe--v* on Friday night, feeling wonderful by mid-day Saturday. So obviously it's going around.

Initially, we thought he'd caught the same bug my daughter had. Maybe not here at home, but more likely that he'd picked it up at school, the same place his friends caught it. There's been loads of kids out sick recently with it. We kept our kids separated all day Saturday, but then let them play a board game together on Saturday night..right around 36 hours ago.

This morning (Monday), my daughter woke up with a stomachache and vile-smelling burps. She drank a little water and nibbled some toast, then had a violent v* episode. No fever or other symptoms so far, but it's early. (Additionally, I was right next to her when it happened and I am so paranoid that inhaled some particles. Usually I try to be either across the room or let my husband stay with the sick child, but he's at work this morning so that's not possible).

Does she have the same bug again? Can she catch it again 2 weeks after having it? Or is it a 2nd virus? HELP!!

Trust me when I say I have cleaned like a fiend. I shower my children after every v* episode, and nobody else is allowed in the sick bathroom until I have cleaned with bleach. My husband and I wash our hands constantly. I will say that my son (8yo) is not always the best handwasher and I have to nag him to do it, so it's possible that he didn't wash well enough after using the toilet on Saturday morning and then touched some surface that my daughter also touched--a handrail or a wall or something. I didn't know he'd had d* until he told me, around 9 am Saturday--according to him, it happened when it was still dark, so sometime prior to 6:30 am, and he didn't want to wake anyone up by telling them--and by that point my daughter was awake too. Not in the bathroom or anything, but she'd been in the hallway near the bathroom, and there's no telling what all he touched. Or she could have (somehow) caught it off him when they played the board game Saturday night. The timing is right as far as a 36 hour incubation, but by that point he'd had another shower and no more incidents since early in the morning, so who knows?

Thoughts? I'm losing it over here, thinking I've got this crazy sv I just can't get out of my house. Surely, though, my daughter wouldn't be able to catch the same bug again 2 weeks later? It's got to be a second virus, right? Or are we just this unlucky??

BTW--my kids have just over one week of school left. If it weren't for all the super fun activities coming up, I'd totally just keep them home from here on and let them start their summer early. I am so OVER the germs.

Default Re: I cannot get this sv out of my house!!! Help and moral support, please!

My guess is 2 different bugs. It does affect everyone differently, but the time frame and symptoms sound like 2 separate. I would guess the first time that your son had the same thing but that his older body handled it better. This is just my guess with an 8 and 11 year old.

Default Re: I cannot get this sv out of my house!!! Help and moral support, please!

I hope you're right, TryingToBeBrave. I think my nerves can take the possibility of 2 different bugs better than thinking that there is some virus just lurking in my house, waiting to re-infect us every 2 weeks. And fingers crossed, I hope my husband and I stay well.

As an update: My daughter was asking for food within an hour of the v* episode. Of course I told her no. She fell asleep shortly afterward and has been asleep for about 90 minutes now. I'm going to test her on Pedialyte when she wakes up and hope that the worst is behind us.

OMG. My daughter is better this evening, eating crackers and seems cheerful. But now my husband is home, complaining of a headache and not feeling well.

To be fair, he pointed out himself that he ate after my daughter last night at dinner (she had an excellent appetite and seemed fine at dinner, but he did eat after her). If he ends up with this bug, I will for real lose it. For 2 reasons.

1) I know loads of kids have had this sv in our area, but I have heard of no adults catching it. I have been consoling myself throughout these 2 weeks that this is a "kid virus" and I won't get it.

And 2) I did not think the virus was contagious through saliva or before symptoms????!!!!!

Help, please!! Anyone who can talk me down??? I am abt to cry.

I'm sorry

I'd guess two different bugs. And maybe your husband has something else.

It's honestly the hardest part of having kids when you're emet. I've been struggling recently so badly.

Hang in there mamacat

and If you've been doing as much cleaning and being around your kids I think you'd have caught by now (crossing my fingers)

just bleach and lysol the hell out of everything after they get better this time.

May even he could have caught it from your son in some way. If he's coming down with something that close to when your daughter did, my bet is they were both exposed around the same time. You probably wash your hands and stay clean more than your husband?

I definitely clean more than him and wash my hands more, although he has gotten better about hand washing over the past few years. And while I have done 100% of the cleanup (I don't trust him to do it), he does physically sit in the room with the kids when they v* while I typically don't. Today was an exception, which is one reason I am so freaked out right now. I was right beside my daughter when she v* this morning, and I am sure I breathed in some of the v* particles

The good news is my husband says he's feeling fine now, he ate dinner and everything. He says he thinks it was just a little acid reflux (which he gets from time to time and has for years) on top of a stress headache. He's staying in the basement with my daughter tonight. She seemed better all afternoon, nibbling crackers, laughing, and drinking Pedialyte, but now at bedtime she says she isn't feeling great again. So she's staying on the downstairs sofa where my husband can keep an eye on her. Still no fever or headache or anything like that. I hope there is not more v* coming

Update: My husband is fine. Apparently it really was his "normal" reflux. And so far this morning, my daughter is cheerful and eating some, but she's not quite her normal, silly self yet. No d* yet, but it's probably coming.

In other news, I have bleached the hard surfaces in this house all morning, some of them multiple times. I have also run through 1.5 cans of Lysol spray. Now I have windows open in an attempt to air things out. I hope I've cleaned enough. I am so tired of my kids being sick My son has already missed his soccer awards banquet with this sickness (he was devastated) and today my daughter is missing her class Field Day (she does not realize this, or she would also be devastated). I will be SO upset if she's still symptomatic on Thursday--it's her first ballet recital, she's practiced for months, the costume is paid for and everything. Ugh.

oh jeez I know it makes me so upset when illness ruins things. even though it happens to everyone it just seems unfair

It's heartbreaking when they miss things because they don't feel good �� I'm glad your husband was ok and that your daughter has improved some.
    When my son was younger, he v and wiped his mouth with his hand and flung it in my face. He v maybe 20 times that night, and I was there every time. I never caught it. It does get way less frequent as they get older. I hope everyone is on the meds and your whole house stays well now.

ugh im so sorry! youre doing all the right things!!! Hopefully you and your husband stay healthy (im thinking at this point, one of you would have caught it already if you were going to). As you know Im in a mildly similar situation now, and since I dont know what's made my husband sick, Ive bleached everything anyway and Im trying to console myself with the fact that my grandmother always took care of us sick when we were kids and almost never caught anything from us. She was also a nurse and had an immune system most people would kill for

Chin up! You can do this!

Thanks! I'm trying. Every time I feel like we're making progress though, something else happens. My daughter ate a good dinner last night, her poo was solid all day, and she went to bed in good spirits, so I was hopeful. Maybe it's over! But just now, my 8 yo son (who was symptomatic on Friday and Saturday) woke up with an episode of d*. So no school for him today.

I feel like we can't get done with this. It's so frustrating.

Also-I woke up feeling a bit gassy and unsettled. Not n*--I ate breakfast and all--but just rather bloated and on edge. I don't usually do countdowns anymore, but this morning marks 48 hours since my daughter v-ed right next to me. I hope I am okay. I really have washed my hands so much they are raw, and bleached to high heaven. I rarely catch their illnesses, aside from the odd cold here and there, but you know how it is.

My son has had 2 more episodes of d* so far this morning, so 3 altogether, about an hour-1.5 hours apart. He's eating and drinking, so he's not n* at all. I am so on edge and jittery, I swear I can't tell if this is anxiety or if I'm actually getting it. I'm not exactly n* so much as just having random pains in my belly and feeling bloated. It is not my period, that was about 2 weeks ago. It's either anxiety or I'm getting it.

And now my daughter is having d* too I swear I cannot win right now.

Okay, I'm slightly calmer now. I still feel on edge, but I think it's more anxiety than anything.

I've also spoken to my kids' pediatrician's office, and the nurse told me that the sv they have been seeing recently does tend to linger on with d* for up to a week. (At which point I am thinking...OMG a week....I will run through so much bleach by then!) She did tell me that the doctor will want to see him if he's still having d* every 60-90 minutes tomorrow, so that they can do a stool sample and rule out a bacterial cause. I'm pretty confident it's not bacterial though, considering that my daughter is also ill.

I *think* maybe it's over for my kids. Maybe. My daughter has been symptom-free since midday Wednesday, so almost 48 hours. Her appetite is returning. My son has been symptom-free since early Thursday, so just over 24 hours. His appetite and energy are back completely.

I keep telling myself it's over, I have bleached this house and supervised hand washing all week. I have gone through insane quantities of Lysol.

But this morning I am crampy and gassy. Not n*, at least yet, but very crampy and gassy. That makes me nervous.

I so want this to all be over.

you poor things!

My daughter has had some kind of weird illness since almost 2 weeks ago and I'm completely drained.

Different illnesses. After having an SV, you have immunity from it for about 10 weeks.