Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Husband super sick and Im freaking out!

Havent been on here in a while.... nearly two years, I think! Generally speaking, Ive been doing really well with my fears and issues..... trying to get over things and deal with things like an adult (i feel like Im too old now to keep being crazy. no judgement - thats just how I feel about myself, personally).

Tonight, however, Im in a different predicament than I have been in a very long time. Im sorry if this is long - im bugging out, and the only person who could talk me out of this (Bubbles, my grandmother) died several years ago. And Im also sorry if this is triggering at all! Im out of practice, so not good with the shorthand anymore.

My husband works a double at a restaurant every Monday. He came home around 930pm tonight, after a stop at the liquor store (he was home for lunch while I was still at work and had a salad from his restaurant, with their house made balsamic dressing).

He had a beer (a tall boy - larger than average but still nothing much for him) and then said he was hungry. Originally, when he came home, I asked if he wanted me to make him something to eat and he said no. That isnt all that uncommon though; He's usually not hungry when he comes home from work and needs some time to decompress. I offered him the other half of my sub from Subway (pepperoni and cheese - I added salami and turkey to it when I got home and ate my half at 6pm. Bought the salami and turkey on friday evening and we've been eating both all weekend. he ate his half around 10:30pm/11pm. Its now 3:45am EST and Im still fine btw). With the sandwich, he also heated up some soup from his restaurant from last week. He brought it home thursday night, but Im fairly certain it was made on monday or tuesday of last week (while we were away, burying his grandfather in Syracuse).

About 40 minutes later, he told me he was feeling dizzy and sick (this has happened before as well. he is prone to bad dizzy/nausea spells that can last several days at a time and one or two times have made him throw up. he's had blood tests and still found nothing. we've chalked it up to dehydration). He also has a bad stomach due to an intestinal surgery he had in his 20s, so I didnt think anything of it. He made a few trips to the bathroom but kept saying he was fine. Also normal, as food tends to run through him within an hour or two, depending, as a result of the surgery. By 1am, he was in the bathroom throwing up. As far as I know, it was just that one time and he immediately came out of the bathroom and got the bleach wipes and cleaned the bathroom. He told me he had been getting sick and he felt awful and was super cold (it was still 60 degrees here when he said it, but as someone with IBS, I know first hand when your stomach wages war, it can sometimes give you the shivers) but he said he was fine and he was sure it was the food.

He's blaming it on the sandwich, but I ate my half MANY hours before he did (Im fine, almost 10 hours later) and Im SUPER crazy about proper food storage... so when I took my half, I immediately wrapped and refrigerated the other half. Im thinking it could have been the soup - made more than a week ago and probably heated, cooled and reheated a few times before he brought it home, honestly. Or it even could have been the salad dressing from lunch - that dressing has made him sick several times over the years he's worked there and made me sick several times as well. Come to think of it. actually.... that same dressing got him sick after mothers day last year because their salad prep line is open basically all day, due to how busy they are on mothers day. Though it didn't make him THIS sick.

I brought him a blanket a few hours ago (he's sleeping in our bedroom and I took up on the couch since A - he's sick and B - I probably wont sleep tonight.... and C - I have to be up for work MUCH earlier than he does tomorrow) and he said he hasnt thrown up since he told me he did, but "its still coming out of him". He's asleep now, and has been for about an hour and a half.. maybe 2 hrs now.... Ive only heard him get up for the bathroom once.

Hes visibly annoyed that im not kinder and more loving toward him - but he also doesnt know how bad my fear is.... We also only have one bathroom so Im HORRIFIED right now. Ive been able to escape bugs and viruses over the years but only because ive been able to use different, isolated bathrooms. Ive had to use our bathroom once since he got sick (and about to have to pee again) but I can't lie - Ive been hovering, leaving the door open and washing my hands twice. Im really leaning toward this being food related, but because ive never dealt with him being sick like this before I am losing my MIND.

Stress and upset could also possibly be related, as he has never really had to bury anybody before.... and we buried his grandfather a week ago. He's not really doing well with the sadness and depression of it.... so that could be it too.

I dont really know what Im looking to gain from this post. It's SUPER late and I dont even know if anyone is up. I need to be up for work in 5hrs but Im not even sure if I will sleep. I guess Im just looking for someone to talk me down. I talked to another friend who shares my fear... and she was good, but she had to go to bed a few hours ago and I was not quite calm by then.

I dunno. Whatever you guys got, I'll take it. Im bugging out something fierce. thanks in advance

Default Re: Husband super sick and Im freaking out!

When you can, try to get into the bathroom and clean it with a bleach solution. That is my #1, best advice. I often find that when I can't sleep because there is illness in the house, it helps to clean. It channels my nervous energy in a productive direction and also helps prevent the spread of (possible) germs. Clean with bleach any surfaces he may have touched (sink handles, doorknobs, light switches, etc), and disinfect with Lysol anything that can't be bleached. The bleach solution has to stay on for 10 minutes to finish disinfecting, so don't wipe it up right away either.

As far as whether it's food-related or a virus, I don't know. It sounds like it could possibly be somehow related to the salad/salad dressing--or it could be a viral thing, too.

I hope your husband feels much better when he wakes up. Hang in there, you aren't alone!

I dont have any straight bleach and it was quite late at night here when it happened (ie everything closed). Im usually pretty good about all that stuff (im the one at work always disinfecting everything like a nazi when someone gets sick). The few times Ive been in the bathroom, I just used a different roll of toilet paper (i took one out of the closet and have it in the living room with me because I was blowing my nose due to allergies), hovered to pee, washed my hands really well in a different sink and then come straight back out here to the living room. He cleaned everything with Lysol bleach wipes after it happened, but I know he's been in and out of the bathroom with the runs after that. I'll have to get bleach on my way home from work. I also didnt really have a chance to be able to BE in the bathroom after, because he was so concerned about being able to get into it (rightfully so!)

Ive never been in this situation as an adult. If someone has been sick there has always been another bathroom or another spot I could go. Basically, Ive always been able to run away. He was just stirring a little when I got up and said he still feels awful. I have to leave here in an hour or so for work. Im hoping he'll feel better in a few hours He looks better but says hes staying home from work. He has to feel miserable to do that
    Last edited by Shubertgoddess; 05-16-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
    When you can, try to get into the bathroom and clean it with a bleach solution. That is my #1, best advice. I often find that when I can't sleep because there is illness in the house, it helps to clean. It channels my nervous energy in a productive direction and also helps prevent the spread of (possible) germs. Clean with bleach any surfaces he may have touched (sink handles, doorknobs, light switches, etc), and disinfect with Lysol anything that can't be bleached. The bleach solution has to stay on for 10 minutes to finish disinfecting, so don't wipe it up right away either.

As far as whether it's food-related or a virus, I don't know. It sounds like it could possibly be somehow related to the salad/salad dressing--or it could be a viral thing, too.

I hope your husband feels much better when he wakes up. Hang in there, you aren't alone!

I stayed home from work today so I could be around if he needed me or needed anything. I got bleach shortly after I wrote my other post, as well as some soup and bagels for him. I had a spray bottle and sprayed everything down with a bleach and water solution. The first time I let it dry on the surfaces, the next time I let it sit and then wiped it up. Ive also gone through half a bottle of hand soap from all the hand washing.

I made him half a bagel toasted with a little butter and lipton soup around 11am. he ate all of it as if he hadnt eaten in 15 years and went back to sleep. Kept it in. Hes also had 2 bowls of pasta (his request). Mostly hes been asleep all day, but he told me he only v* that one bathroom trip (though he said it was repeatedly) and hasnt had any d* since over night, last night. So all told it looks like the sick part lasted about 5 hours. Im guessing based on that it was from food? Ive never heard of a bug having the manifestation and time frame that this did. and aside from being exhausted he mostly seems back to himself as of when he got up a few hours ago.

thoughts?

Thanks for being the only one who answered me this morning BTW! its been a crazy day but it was appreciated

I'm glad the worst is over for him! To answer your question though, the bug that my kids had over the weekend was similar to this. Both my kids had one extreme v* episode, then about 12-24 hours of extreme fatigue, then the energy and appetite started coming back. Keep up the bleaching though, since sv germs can remain in the stool for up to 2 weeks.

He had D* as well, for about 4 hrs total with the one V* episode somewhere in the middle. He was sick from about midnight, until 4am and had an appetite back by 11am. Ive had food poisoning from the restaurant where he works a few years back and his symptoms are pretty similar to mine, then. Although I fought the V* because, well, emet lol Im remaining hopeful it was just dodgy food, but I assume I'll find out by tomorrow or friday lol

I bleached again when I got home from work just now - he's at work until 10pm. Did you wind up catching what your kids have?

So far, I have not caught it. I've had an anxious belly, but no real n* or other symptoms. Fingers crossed! In my experience, the 30-48 hour window is key. I know it varies anywhere from 12-72 hours incubation, but in my house if it's going to spread, it's usually around the 36-48 hour mark. (That's why I try not to do countdowns, but I was very much on edge this morning because it was within the window). Now it has been almost 60 hours since my daughter v-ed right next to me. Both she and my son(!) had d* off and on today, but tapering toward bedtime. I called the dr office today, and the nurse said the strain of sv they've been seeing can have d* off and on for up to a week So my advice is to keep bleaching and handwashing!! It won't hurt anything if it was something he ate, you'll have a super clean bathroom, and hopefully you won't worry as much either
    Last edited by mamacat; 05-17-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Im almost to the 48 hr mark. He both went to the gym and to work today, which is good. And he's been eating for more than 24 hrs - even telling me at midnight last night how starving he was, and then making himself something else to eat. As far as I know, bathroom habits have been back to normal both yesterday and today, so I'll take that as a good sign as well! He's generally got a bad stomach and food runs right through him sometimes, but he's said everything has been how it usually is!

Im holding out hope that you stay well!!!! Also, if your daughter was ill right next to you and you stay well, there's hope over here! He was sick in the bathroom and went at the bathroom with lysol bleach wipes right after (in a pinch, i'll take it).

My house reeks of bleach, but I feel a little better every time i use it. Im only concerned about the dishes, as we dont own a dish washer and have to hand wash everything. I tried to confine him to a few plates (and I knew exactly which they were) but he used other stuff today too. Although I did also hear from a friend today that she has gotten sick at his restaurant, as well as a number of her friends.... and they all refuse to eat there. Eh, I guess we will see!

I am gonna say it had to be fp. That same exact thing happened to my husband over a year ago. We ate at a dodgy restaurant-- I had something different than he did. He is the only one at our table (there were 8 other people) that had cole slaw. As he was eating it he said it was warm, dry, and tasted funny. But... him being my husband, he ate it all. He started belching and getting bloated and was very uncomfortable for a while and then a bit later, he got bad d* many times, and v'd one episode, several times at once. He was actively sick for 4 hours and was fine after (maybe tired). He woke up feeling pretty good the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Charzy14 View Post
    I am gonna say it had to be fp. That same exact thing happened to my husband over a year ago. We ate at a dodgy restaurant-- I had something different than he did. He is the only one at our table (there were 8 other people) that had cole slaw. As he was eating it he said it was warm, dry, and tasted funny. But... him being my husband, he ate it all. He started belching and getting bloated and was very uncomfortable for a while and then a bit later, he got bad d* many times, and v'd one episode, several times at once. He was actively sick for 4 hours and was fine after (maybe tired). He woke up feeling pretty good the next morning.
    Yeah, that sounds like Anthony, only he felt like he had been hit with a mack truck the next day and spent most of the day asleep. But his appetite was good and he wasnt sick anymore. When he came home from work last night he said his kidneys hurt.... but I think he actually just pulled a muscle in his back when he was v*. But, appetite has been consistently good - he had breakfast and lunch while I was at work yesterday and when he came home he had ravioli and sauce and a grilled ham and cheese.

Im at the witching hour now...... lol Tonight, overnight will be 72hrs. Im trying to remain positive LOL

(also, Anthony probably would have eaten most of the cole slaw before deeming it unsafe..... or hell, eaten all of it. he HAS eaten 3 week old deli ham, saying it was safe if he fried it LOL)

Okay, Im past the 72 hour mark and almost to the 96 hour mark. Im hoping its safe to say Im in the clear. He says he's still not feeling so great, but he's been eating the entire time so Im guessing all is well!