Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Always nauseous

Unhappy Always nauseous

Hi guys,

I am new on this site so I don't really know how this works. Anyways, I'm a 22 year old female studying social work (Funny because it seems like I should be able to handle my own problems). I have been suffering with extreme emetophobia for years... ever since I can remember... and it affects my life every single day. I am constantly nauseous, having panic attacks when I'm nauseous, paranoid, think everyones going to throw up, think I'm always going to throw up, etc. I get debilitating panic attacks where one minute I'm fine and then the next I'm incredibly nauseous and feel like I'm going to get sick. I have to jump in the shower or grab ice to feel better.

Ive tried therapy and exposure therapy and nothing works. This is my last resort. I am losing my mind. How do I get over this?

Xo Leah

Default Re: Always nauseous

I feel the exact same way I've had this for 20 plus years

Default Re: Always nauseous

I know this is a late reply but I can completely relate, I'm also nauseas all the time. Doctors say it's likely anxiety. I worry ill v* 24/7. Have a least one panic attack everyday, normally 3- one in the morning another at night and another random one. I believe virtually anyone can be cured. But it takes so much commitment and belief. I have attempted the thrive programme, which I do believe can work. Unfortunately I got an ear infection in the middle of it, and thrive faded into the distance as I was worrying my head off about my ear infection.

Since then ive become very mentally unwell, sitting with the curtains drawn all day unable to function properly. I'm currently waiting for some anti depressants. (Not sure if I'll be brave enough to go with them with there side effects but...)

please dint loose hope! I know how awful this phobia is, I am so Petrified I would rather die than v*. And I mean that- it's the reason why I went in to get depression, sort of realising that what I feared more than my own death, could happen any moment. Having said this though, I cling on through hope, I believe there is a way I could at least improve, possibly be cured. I believe virtually everyone can, but it takes a lot of effort to do so.

And also, as for exposure therapy, that has a very low success rates, with many saying it made them worse. So don't atall be suprised that it didn't work. Emetophobia is all about how you 'perceive' being sick. And showing you pictures of v* (like the may do in exposure) isn't going to change your perception. I have seen pictures of v* before, and it just made me worse.

I would say, your best bet is probably the thrive programme, as it really digs deep in the phobia. And for this, you only need to but the book, the consultants are very expensive, so for many, a hard thing to afford, but you don't actually need a consultant. Mine didn't do much really, the person who cures this phobia is you. Like I say, please don't give up hope, all the best
    blogging all about emetophobia:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.