Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey guys- can't sleep, so was aimlessly wandering the web when I found this. They are researching the benefits of ginger on nausea, and have some preliminary data on it's effectiveness and how it works.

I also can confirm that ginger root really works to settle the stomach- I use it in soup and stir fry often. If you go to Orange Julius, you can also get fresh juice. I usually get Carrot, Apple, and a whole lot of ginger. Yummy AND effective

*amber*

(SOURCE: http://healthandfitness.sympatico.ms...ContentPosting .aspx?contentid=0a9cd23e22ed49658cb0f3c29302dabc&a mp;show=Tr ue&number=5&showbyline=False&subtitle= &detec t=&abc=abc)
    <DIV style="CLEAR: n&#111;ne; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">
    <DIV class=>Ginger Could Add Spice: Trial results suggest it eases chemo-related nausea </DIV>
    <DIV class=partner></DIV>
    <DIV class=partner align=right>13/01/2006 9:45:00 PM </DIV>
    <HR>

(HealthDay News) - Ginger ale and ginger tea are long-time home remedies for nausea or stomach ache. Now, researchers are investigating whether ginger can help prevent similar symptoms in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy - even after they've tried standard anti-nausea drugs.

<DIV align=left></DIV></DIV>

"We know anecdotally that the participants in the study say they are overall very happy to be in the study and satisfied with their treatment," Suzanna Zick, a research investigator in family medicine, said in a prepared statement.

"We don't know what that means yet. We're hoping that means the ginger is doing something really good, and we have had a few participants say they felt they could decrease their other medications while they were in the study. Whether that's a placebo effect or from the ginger, we'll have to wait until the study ends," Zick said.

Previous research found that ginger helped control nausea related to motion sickness, post-operative recovery and pregnancy.

There are three main ways that ginger seems to help in controlling nausea, Zick said. It's main constituent is a substance called gingerol, a strong free-radical molecule that acts as an antioxidant. Gingerol decreases oxidative products made in the digestive tract that can cause nausea.

Ginger also causes blood vessels to dilate, which explains its warming effect, and it also blocks serotonin receptors in the stomach that cause nausea.

Fresh ginger root is the most effective remedy, Zick said. She recommended buying fresh ginger and grinding or chopping it to add to foods. She noted that just because a food or drink has ginger in the name doesn't mean it actually contains any ginger.

"People really need to be aware that there are a lot of products, especially ginger ales these days, that put in a synthetic form of ginger or hardly any real ginger. So if you really wanted the medicinal effect, you would have to make sure that the brand had actual ginger in it," Zick advised.

Copyright 2006 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved
    <DIV></DIV>
    <HR>

<DIV id=divsympatico>
    <TABLE id=Legal2_tblLegal height=14 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD class=terms height=14>© 2006 Bell Canada, Microsoft Corporation and/or their contributors. All rights reserved.<A id=Legal2_termsOfUse href="http://privacy.sympatico.msn.ca/tou" target="_blank">[u]Te

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

this is what i have been saying all along, ginger is my absolute BEST frieend when it comes to nausea.

What I do for my daughter's period cramps, and when I used to get cramps (I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago-yay!), and for times when I feel N* :

Boil water, insert 1 tea bag and sprinkle in about 1 - 2 teaspoons of ground ginger. It's warm and soothing. It has NEVER failed me [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I love the ginger pills....they are 500 mg capsules...and i take one after every meal.....they really do help alot.....but i have also found that 2 prolosec a day relieve a whole lot of my nausea.....just a thought....
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Do you think ginger biscuits help? i found they settled my stomach
    and eased the n* for a short time, but i find that ginger burns lol, i
    think you would stop feeling n* if you eat a ginger biscuit because
    you would be thinking more about the burning then the n* itself! lol.
    So i always have a pack of ginger biscuits on hand just in case
    someone feels n*, or they hurt themself, just give them a ginger
    biscuit, and they'll soon forget about it lol.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

Love the ginger!
    \"This too shall pass\"

I like the Ginger Altoids! Hard to find, but I think they work, even though they do burn my mouth! Edited by: harmonygirl72
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

What is it with ginger and burning? lol everytime i eat a ginger biscuit i cough from it buring lol, but still i eat them because there nice.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!

Yep, they totally burn my throat! My boyfriends laughs at me because I complain about it, but then always eat them anyway!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

lol awww. I gave my friend a ginger biscuit the other day as she had never tasted one before lol the look on her face while she was trying to eat it lol then she started having coughing fit from it, so i had to get her a glass of water to wash it down with lol. But if anyone ever feels n* just give them one of them it will soon take there mind off it. lol
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!

I think I would take the burning over the nausea any day, no, I KNOW I would. I feel as though if my tummy is burning, I'm not nauseaus.

Ginger bicuits?? Like Ginger Snaps? Arn't they cookies? hmm...let me know...and ginger altoids???

I'll have to check all this out. I do take ginger capsules regularly.

Jenny