Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy I'm worried I did something really bad

So I'm a relatively young person with emet (and new to the website so please bear with me and tell me if I made any posting/writing mistakes) and about half an hour ago I ate a hot dog that had been in the microwave for about 8-9 hours. (My step-dad puts food in the microwave to keep the cats from getting it.) So I ate half of it before I thought, "Oh my god, what did I just do, meat is bad after like two hours!" so now I'm super worried about fp*(?) and/or v*. Is there any *gentle* words of advice anyone can give me on the mistake I just made? I'm super worried about it and I don't wanna have to go to the hospital or something for this silly mistake that I know could have very easily been avoided. At the very least, can someone tell me that they or someone they know has done a similar thing and been just fine? I'd like to say that I have a pretty good immune system (but terrible anxiety) and I haven't v* in a good couple years but then again, if I got fp*(?) I don't think my v* history would make a difference. So is there something anyone can say to help me out a bit? I don't want to freak out about this more than I already am...

Default Re: I'm worried I did something really bad

Hi neuroticwisher,

How are you doing now? I'm sure by now you know whether or not that hot dog gave you any negative effects! It is probably too late to really be helpful, but once in grad school, my friend who lived down the hall from me made some chicken, left it out on the counter in a tupperware container overnight, then ate it the next day! She never refrigerated it! I was sure she would be s* but she was totally fine! I think even though there is a risk with food being left out, that doesn't mean that every single time you will have a bad reaction. I'm sure it is hit or miss, but there's a good enough chance of it that we usually apply strict food safety rules. I hope you are doing okay and that your anxiety didn't get to you too badly today!

This past year I lived in a house of 7 girls, and none of them were careful about food at all. One of the girls was sick with a cold once time, and made herself a pot of chicken soup the first day of the week and LEFT THE SOUP OUT IN THE POT SITTING ON THE STOVE ALL WEEK!!! Unrefridgerated, and every day would come and eat some. My other roommate kept her mayo in the cabinet (after it had been opened already) same with salad dressings. So disgusting, but never did any of them get sick. And that is super super extreme and they were all fine! I'm pretty sure you'll be totally good as well!

I am a chef...and hot dogs have sooo many preservatives and sooo much salt. I wouldn't be very worried!