Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Live-in boyfriend has stomach flu!

My live-in boyfriend has the stomach flu. He woke up around 8 this morning and was vomiting for about an hour on and off. Like everyone here I have a huge vomiting phobia (if I think I'm going to vomit I might have a panic attack). He is being very unhelpful with preventing to spread of his illness, things like not flushing the toilet after he vomits, taking a bath while covered in the stuff, and then getting into bed and grabbing all my pillows and blankets and putting his face in them. I don't know what to do! I don't want to be unsupportive, but I'm seriously having problems with this. Ever since he started vomiting I have avoided the bathroom (using the coffee shop next door) and have washed my hands three times in the past 1.5 hours, as well as hand sanitizer any time I touch ANYTHING. Oh and not touching my face. How can I avoid getting this? I'm pretty certain it's contagious since we both ate the same thing for dinner. I've read the thing can be contagious for two weeks after symptoms stop. I know I won't die if I get it, but gah! Since we live together in a small apartment, I'm seriously considering staying in a friend's house. What should I do?
    P.S. I had no idea there was a forum for this. It's very comforting to know other people suffer from the same phobia. I thought I was just being a cry-baby.

Default Re: Live-in boyfriend has stomach flu!

sorry you're going thru this and that he's being kind of insensitive ...does he know about your emet?

the handwashing is your best defense....keep your hands away from your face. i would clean the bathroom thoroughly with bleach water.......once he's done being sick....i'd strip the bed, wipe down everything.....doorknobs, handles, etc with bleach water rag.

hope things turn out okay.....i know that this is so scarey.....my husband and i live in a really tiny place.....one bathroom and you can hear everything....ugh

be strong you will make it through.......maybe once he's feeling better you can have a little talk with him

we're here if you need us
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wow, I know your boyfriend is sick but... not flushing after being sick?! That sounds very immature.

For you not to get sick it's a team effort. He needs to wash his hands properly and close the lid when he flushes his sick or poop. And you need to keep washing your hands and prepare all the food. Put his clothes and your bedclothes into the washer.

Does he know about your emetophobia?
    If fear hasn't killed me yet, then nothing will.

Quote Originally Posted by olschesky View Post
    the handwashing is your best defense....keep your hands away from your face. i would clean the bathroom thoroughly with bleach water.......once he's done being sick....i'd strip the bed, wipe down everything.....doorknobs, handles, etc with bleach water rag.
    All of this.

Probably irrational behavior, but I would spend the night away from him if I could, only because he seems really unsanitary wiping his face on your pillows, etc. Yikes. I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's bad enough when they do take precautions. I would have a hard time dealing with someone who didn't.
    Elizabeth

Poor you, from what you say he seems a bit unsypathetic. I too would have a tough time dealing with that sort of attitude. Probably best you get out and leave him to it. I would have been long gone!
    If he is going to continue to be so slack with cleaning up after his deed its pointless cleaning after him and making yourself feel worse. Probably best to go to a friends and wait until he has stopped. Then when you go back for the final clean up you can be sure its gone from him.
    Hang on in there with your worries. We will always support you from here.
    I agree with above comments, you and him need a propper chat if your going to continue living together.

Thank you so much for the support. Yes he "knows" but like most people thinks it's just the usual everyone hates to throw up. I only had one panic attack when he started walking around, and despite being terrified I have decided to try to overcome my fear and stay (rather than running for the hills and sleeping at a friend's house for the week). I have come very far this year, throwing up a lot for the first time in 13 years from being very, very drunk. And I survived.

I don't know what to do about sleeping, I guess I'll sleep on the couch in my sleeping bag. I'm so worried about how to disinfect my bed so I can sleep in it again. I may have already caught the thing, I've had waves of nausea all day on and off and haven't eaten anything. I've also been shivering/shaking all evening. I'm really hoping that doesn't mean I'll throw up later... I'm terrified at the thought. I almost don't want to fall asleep because I'm frightened of waking up in the middle of the night with that horrible feeling.

Any thoughts on disinfecting?

Quote Originally Posted by person54321 View Post
    despite being terrified I have decided to try to overcome my fear and stay (rather than running for the hills and sleeping at a friend's house for the week).
    Good for you! That's brave and taking positive steps to dealing with this thing.

I don't know what to do about sleeping, I guess I'll sleep on the couch in my sleeping bag. I'm so worried about how to disinfect my bed so I can sleep in it again. I may have already caught the thing, I've had waves of nausea all day on and off and haven't eaten anything. I've also been shivering/shaking all evening.
    This is most likely due to the anxiety/panic and not eating all day. Panic couple with low blood sugar can produce those symptoms quite easily.

4 parts water + 1 part bleach. Wipe down all surfaces that he might have used or touched. Don't forget faucet handles, light switches, doorknobs, and soap dispensers. Strip everything off the bed and wash in hot water with bleach, including the pillows. I usually open up the windows and let the room air out for a while as well (close it off while it airs out if it's cold). It doesn't do anything as far as germ killing, but it makes the room smell fresh and clean. That, along with good handwashing is the best you can do to keep yourself healthy.
    Elizabeth

Thank you so much for the support. Yes he "knows" but like most people thinks it's just the usual everyone hates to throw up. I only had one panic attack when he started walking around, and despite being terrified I have decided to try to overcome my fear and stay (rather than running for the hills and sleeping at a friend's house for the week). I have come very far this year, throwing up a lot for the first time in 13 years from being very, very drunk. And I survived.

I don't know what to do about sleeping, I guess I'll sleep on the couch in my sleeping bag. I'm so worried about how to disinfect my bed so I can sleep in it again. I may have already caught the thing, I've had waves of nausea all day on and off and haven't eaten anything. I've also been shivering/shaking all evening. I'm really hoping that doesn't mean I'll throw up later... I'm terrified at the thought. I almost don't want to fall asleep because I'm frightened of waking up in the middle of the night with that horrible feeling.

Use bleach on every hard surface (Toilet, sink, etc) And spray lysol or use clorox wipes on the door handles, remote controls, light switches, EVERYTHING. And then wash the sheets and pillow cases in hot water. That should do it. My husband was sick a couple of years ago and once he was done I did all of those things and slept in a different room for a couple days and I never caught it. We even kissed goodnight and shared the same silverware the night he got sick. Try to stay calm, and it will pass :-)

Thanks everyone. I survived the night. I woke up this morning frightened with butterflies in my stomach and thought I was going to throw up, and I was actually somewhat OK with it. I've come a long way!

I was wondering specifically about disinfecting the shower/tub and the mattress. We have a fairly expensive foam topper and it's very porous. It can't be washed. Should I just stuff it in a bag for 2 weeks? The mattress underneath is plastic covered and can be wiped down. Also my blanket is a big down one. Should I wash both the duvet and the blanket? I'm concerned about the showertub since while he was covered in the stuff he took a bath and I'm worried that if I take a bath or shower, I'll fling small particles of the stuff into the air/steam. I'm asking him to do the first cleaning of the bathroom since it's REALLY bad in there and then I'll go do it a second time. How long do I have to sleep on the couch/wait to wash the bedding?

Also, how long until I can kiss him and such? I was under the impression, definitely correct me if I'm wrong, that the virus can only be caught if I get vomit or fecal matter in my mouth. And I can't catch it through my nose or eyes, only if I eat it. So as long as nothing touches my mouth (which I've been VERY good about) I can't catch it right?

Also, how long until I can kiss him and such?
    I usually wait a day before kissing anyone who has had it. Really though, as long as they've brushed their teeth and are no longer vomiting they're okay.

I was under the impression, definitely correct me if I'm wrong, that the virus can only be caught if I get vomit or fecal matter in my mouth. And I can't catch it through my nose or eyes, only if I eat it. So as long as nothing touches my mouth (which I've been VERY good about) I can't catch it right?
    That's correct.

As far as the tub, I usually use something like Soft Soap cleanser with bleach to clean it out (I also wash the shower curtain, although that's likely overkill). I scrub the tub and then let the cleanser sit for a few minutes before rinsing it off.
    Elizabeth

It's very comforting to know other people suffer from the same phobia. I thought I was just being a cry-baby.
    I understand exactly where you are coming from your not being a cry-baby believe me! However my boyfriend does not live with me but he was ill with a sv about a week ago and I have been putting off seeing him because I really really really dont want to get it i feel like such a awful girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by alexandria View Post
    I understand exactly where you are coming from your not being a cry-baby believe me! However my boyfriend does not live with me but he was ill with a sv about a week ago and I have been putting off seeing him because I really really really dont want to get it i feel like such a awful girlfriend
    I understand this completely. My boyfriend doesn't live with me either but he has/had a SV on Monday and still kind of has it but hasn't v since Monday night. I wouldn't let him kiss me at all in the past 48 hours and I haven't been to his house in about 36 hours. I've been so careful to wash my hands and not touch my mouth/eyes/ nose/etc. But tonight I'm going to his house and spending the night since he's better. I am however going to make him wash the sheets before getting into bed. He has already cleaned the bathroom up. But I felt awful not kissing him or spending so much time with him.

Quote Originally Posted by kayely88 View Post
    I understand this completely. My boyfriend doesn't live with me either but he has/had a SV on Monday and still kind of has it but hasn't v since Monday night. I wouldn't let him kiss me at all in the past 48 hours and I haven't been to his house in about 36 hours. I've been so careful to wash my hands and not touch my mouth/eyes/ nose/etc. But tonight I'm going to his house and spending the night since he's better. I am however going to make him wash the sheets before getting into bed. He has already cleaned the bathroom up. But I felt awful not kissing him or spending so much time with him.
    You should use : red sugar , ginger will help his stomach .
    Also, avoid more contact with him, to avoid spreading the flu from him. He he, do not kiss him.

I am going through the same thing right now! Except I did choose to leave. I'm hoping that he already didn't infect me with germs and I am going to become ill anyway. I'm so scared and nervous about it I am giving myself chest pains.

Person I would like to say that I am amazed at your progress! Two years later your boyfriend is sick again, but you seem to be handling the situation beautifully. You have come a long way. You have worked hard over the years to kick emets a... PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

This is just one of the many reasons that I`m glad to be living on my own, no nasty germy people to infect me with their revolting diseases!

Hi, so sorry for this, just let me know which bedding is good for this purpose. Like to change again and again need some low price bedding for baby or kids. I am here in Australia and just check the bedding of Lolli Living rushk com.au/lolli-living and should I get the used bedding from somewhere but online?