Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I almost threw up today and yesterday

First and foremost, I'm sorry if I'm annoying. 2017 definitely has been my worst year, regarding my fear. I'm nervous and need help. Or advice.

Since yesterday night, I've been close to throwing up. I'd endure the feeling until it went away then I'd go to sleep. I wouldn't have nausea, I'd have lower abdominal pain but little to no upper abdominal pain (at least not that I remember), no excess saliva.

I'd actually feel like I'd have to make a BM, but then I'd get this feeling like I'm about to vomit and I don't understand why. Like I said, the nausea isn't there. My throat and mouth actually get a little dry & pretty congested, my vision starts acting weird, and then I'd feel as if I'm about to get sick.

I want to believe it's all in my head but at the same time I'm usually not thinking about it when it happens. At least I wouldn't be consciously aware that I am.

Can anxiety be subconscious? Is that what it is? I know sometimes when I drink water to get rid of the dryness, I'll, almost uncontrollably, mentally tell myself "That water's gonna make you throw up." Of course I don't. But I'll really feel like it. What bothers me more is the fact that I took a zofran and the feeling is somewhat gone. That's a good thing but at the same time, it makes me think the feeling is real, because I heard anti-emetics don't help anxiety-based nausea.
    Last edited by trs12345; 07-21-2017 at 10:42 PM.

Default Re: I almost threw up today and tomorrow.

That's exactly how I get with my panic attacks. Most of the time I have no clue what even triggers my panic, so I do believe a lot of anxiety can be subconscious, and only after when I evaluate the situation am I able to connect something small that caused the panic. Sometimes it's just the idea of having a panic attack that gives me a panic attack! Every time I get one I feel so certain that I will be sick, even though I never do v* from it. It's an awful feeling, but you won't v*. Look up some breathing exercises to calm your heart rate. I use an app called Pacifica. I pay for it to get the full benefits from it but I don't think you have to pay to use the app. That app specifically helps me a lot when I'm feeling that way. I hope this feeling goes away for you soon!

lol I just noticed my mistake on the title. I feel dumb now haha, I was paranoid about today so I guess I accidentally typed "tomorrow" instead of "yesterday." But I see, thank you for your answer and advice. I'll look into that app. I have an iPhone, does it work for that?

LOL. I deal with this daily and like jennalove it's when my anxiety is high or I am panicking. Sometimes the thoughts/feelings happen at once. It SEEMS to you that you're not thinking anything triggering, but the subconscious is a weird animal. I know mine does whatever on its own and usually I find myself panicking for what seems to be no reason. My gag reflx goes CRAZY (as it is right now) and I feel like I am going to just lose it. I find my breathing gets weird and/or I get tense around my shoulders/neck when this happens. It took me a while but I am starting to see patterns and different ways my body reacts. Tension in the neck can make it seem like you need to gag or have a lump in your throat.

I also get the feeling like I gotta go #2, almost like my bowels jolt with an electrical shock or something, and then I feel all gaggy. Also I get a wobbly-like vision or slight dizziness.
    I get it almost every day, it's not fun. OH! and the water thing, I get that too. I had noro when I was 3 and it started after I took a sip of water (it was coincidence) Seriously I could have written your post lol. It makes me feel like I am going insane and then I think "this CAN'T be anxiety, it is all so real!"

My tricks, I chew peppermint gum and also dab peppermint oil under my neck. The fresh taste/scent of peppermint wakes me up and the tingling distracts me in this weirdly soothing way. Also keep drinking water! For me, the colder the water the better.
    IES Backup Forum (est. Dec 2016)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ha! Such a strange coincidence! This isn't daily for me, but it's probably the third or fourth time this year that I've had this occurrence! When it happens, it'll usually happen for another night or two before it goes away, and my God is it awful! I feel I should mention that, while I don't always get it, I will feel a slight increase in my heart rate and my subconscious will tell me "you're going to throw up" which worsens the issue. As for the peppermint thing, I do that too. I don't have any oil but the gum and water are usually my remedy for this. It's just that yesterday, it didn't really work for me until after I took the Zofran. Glad I'm not the only one dealing with this though! I'll look into getting peppermint oil as well! Thank you for your reply!

Pacifica works for iPhones! That's what I have!

I'll try to make this as brief but as detailed as possible. It's been a while since the act has actually happened for me. I've had this phobia for a couple decades and two years ago I was pregnant. Managed to successfully make it through that and a C section with no sickness. I was terribly nauseous in the first trimester though.
    Anyway, around my daughter's first birthday in October of last year, everything changed for me. I saw someone get sick [and heard it] in a garbage can outside a Walmart. It didn't bug me until about five minutes later. I had a panic attack accompanied with the worst nausea I'd ever experienced at the time. I had to pull over and couldn't get back in the car for over an hour because I was panicking so badly. It was all downhill from there. I started having multiple panic attacks everyday. I was nauseous from sun up to sun down and every moment in between. It was like the phobia had started over but 1,000 times worse in every way. I was eating less and less and couldn't handle going out. By March of this year I was housebound. I tried multiple different medications to try and get me feeling better. Got testing done to make sure nothing was wrong with my stomach or insides. Everything came back clear. I was so angry because everyday that I felt nausea, it changed. Yesterday's nausea felt nothing like last week's nausea. And it kept getting worse. Since this weird change my body has gone through, there have been moments that have stood out worse than others, just like you described. My stomach does a weird thing. All these signals get sent to my brain telling me it's about to happen. I feel tingling from my chest up to my neck and I get a hot flash. All of those things, I googled, are signs it's about to happen so of course it's damn near impossible to calm myself down. By the time I finally do I feel like total garbage for the next day or two. Then I can't help but stew on it. "I was supposed to get sick. Why didn't I? It's bound to happen next time I feel that happening." What a terrible, vicious cycle. I wish I could tell myself that it's anxiety but it's hard when those episodes are more sporadic. Sometimes I'll read, as I like to call them, 'success stories' of other emets who make it 40 plus years without getting sick just to make myself feel better. Sigh.