Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Terrified of food!! Someone help!!

Hi, I'm new here lol. I've had emetophobia before I even knew it was a real thing, and I'm absolutely terrified of food. I will put off eating until I feel horrible and make myself feel sick from being so hungry. A couple mornings ago I woke up light headed and just felt off, no stomach ache though so I thought I was okay. I went downstairs to get some ice to put on my stomach (does anyone else find comfort in ice packs/coldness?) and I began to violently dry heave. I tried to go back to sleep because I was exhausted, but shortly woke up and began to dry heave again. Do you think I was sick and my body just didn't let me v* or was it because I hadn't eaten anything?? Thank you for any help!! Emetophobia is controlling my life, causing me constant anxiety and panic!!

Default Re: Terrified of food!! Someone help!!

How are you feeling now?

It could just be that your body is so starved from not eating. I can feel very nauseated and gaggy if I don't eat for extended periods of time. Hope you are doing better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavalife10 View Post
    How are you feeling now?

It could just be that your body is so starved from not eating. I can feel very nauseated and gaggy if I don't eat for extended periods of time. Hope you are doing better now.
    Same, get that sick-hungry feeling that makes you feel blah.
    Try at least eating bland, if nothing else...bread, rice, soup, smoothies (can add protein to make them more nutritious).
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Thank you! I'm trying to get better at eating small portions of my "safe foods" throughout the day.

I was where you are exactly two years ago, almost heaving due to hunger n*.. I've put on weight and am still very emet but my gosh I feel so much better without that dizziness and random weird feelings... Eat anything you fancy until your appetite is back .... My "build up appetite" food was lime Doritos, Cadbury and frappucinos!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbyholiday View Post
    Thank you! I'm trying to get better at eating small portions of my "safe foods" throughout the day.
    What do you consider safe food? Just for my own curiosity.

Crackers, yogurt, toast, nuts, pretty much anything bland and not heavy on the stomach.

This was basically me as a teenager and way into my 20's, I have anorexia due to this fear, but honestly, putting off eating like that is worse. Just keep to the safe foods, prepare everything yourself. You have to stay healthy. The worst thing you can do is starve yourself. Not only are you causing the problems you've already listed, but you're compromising your immune system, which has to stay strong to prevent illnesses. Go purchase some Sambucol to strengthen your immune system and have a nice bowl of homemade soup x