Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I'm scared I got food poisoning

I ate some bean 'n cheese tacos yesterday. Now, I was paranoid and skeptical about eating them at first because my mom got home close to 11 AM and I was eating them at 12:50 PM. I remember her telling me around 11:20 AM there were tacos and I said "okay, I'll eat them in a bit." Only to still not go eat them after 10 minutes, then I went to the restroom and told my mom to put them in the fridge at 11:41. In that same minute she said "there in fridge."

I don't know if she meant it like "they're already in fridge" or like "there, in fridge" but yeah. So they were in there for over an hour.

Though, I still couldn't get it through my head that they were put up before the 2 hour mark. But I decided to eat them anyway so I reheated them around 12:57 and put hot sauce on them then ate it..

From there on, I'd get a, chronic but not terribly bad, stomach pain around the upper to middle abdomen. Stomach felt kind of still too, which worried me. I don't know whether it's gas or not because I do get like that from beans but this is longer than that. I chewed a couple gums left last night which could've prologoned it though.

Aside from that, I didn't have any actual symptoms and retained an appetite throughout the whole day and later on, ate reheated pizza from the day before. I also ate a deviled ham sandwich around 10 or 11 PM.

But today, I woke up in a bit more pain (shifted from middle abdomen to left side of abdomen). What scares me the most is how when I burp, I'm smelling the bean 'n cheese tacos again & the sandwich I ate last night. It's making me panic.

I heard when food poisoning hits you, it'll hit suddenly, so maybe it isn't the case? The pain is more mild, but the fact it doesn't go away is what scares me about it.

On another note, I was exposed to my uncle's stomach virus almost 8 days ago, so what if I'm finally getting it? I'm scared, I really don't want to vomit.

Most importantly though, I was supposed to go out with a girl I've been talking to for a while and I don't want to have to cancel!! Ugh! Why must I live this accursed life!?

Default Re: I'm scared I got food poisoning

I have been watching the forums for the past few weeks and saw some of your posts. I decided to reach out and make an account to let you know that you're not alone. these symptoms that you have are due to anxiety. I struggled since I was 9 with emetophobia and it's been a lot better since I've been on medication. I haven't V* in several years and I will say and promise that it's all anxiety related. Nausea, sweating, and high pulse are all key signs of having an episode of anxiety or panic. It begins to snowball and it just makes itself worse. Notice how you're fine every time? It's just anxiety. I really will recommend getting help; I do not want you to contemplate suicide. I have been down that path and have tried, and thankfully I failed. That last second I thought I was going to die I regret everything I have done and was thankful for that second chance and willing to give it another try. But please, do not try to commit suicide.. it can only get better, and I don't know you but I'm here if you ever need to be walked through an episode. People are always here.

Default Re: I'm scared I got food poisoning

I get those pains sometimes when eating beans, or way too seasoned food.
    Now, if you're worried about a foodborne disease -that makes you vomit-, they're usually pretty fast to manifest. If you're worried about the time it was out of the fridge, you have to also take in consideration if the room was too hot and humid. Also you reheated it, which eliminates bacteria (not the toxins though).