Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Surgery coming up - prescribed oxycodone - please help!!

Hi everyone,
    I have been emetophobic my whole life. I am scheduled to have surgery to remove a bone tumor in just over a week. I won't know if it's benign or cancer until I wake from surgery. The nurse at my pre-op appointment prescribed oxycodone for post surgery pain. I am absolutely terrified of this whole process. The surgery itself doesn't scare me at all, I am just afraid of n* and v* from any of the anesthesia, antibiotics and pain meds. I am unable to take Ibuprofen (which is how I've always dealt with pain) because it interrupts bone fusion during my recovery. All I am allowed to take is Tylenol and/or narcotics. I have always managed to avoid this, but I'm afraid this time it's my only option. I know during my hospital visit, I will be able to request plenty of anti-emetics (praying they work well) but I am afraid of eating after surgery and the pain management drugs. Today I picked up 5mg oxycodone and was told I could break it in half or even quarters, but I'm still scared I might be sick from this. I have an ongoing promethazine scrip from my regular doctor because he is sympathetic to my phobia, and I was prescribed zofran with the oxys. Does anyone know if a quarter of a 5mg oxycodone is likely to cause n* or v*? Does anyone have any ideas of an alternative pain management that I can ask the doctors about? Has anyone had success with major surgeries going well with no n* and v*? I have so much anxiety right now and I would seriously rather die during the surgery than wake up and be sick. It just cannot happen. I'm so scared you guys, this phobia is the worst!

Default Re: Surgery coming up - prescribed oxycodone - please help!!

Hi, I know how you're feeling. I try to never take narcotics if I can help it. I think if you have scripts for zofran and promethazine and you can break up the pain pills, you should be okay. I would try not to take them at first, but don't let the pain get too bad either because then you will be "chasing" the pain and that's hard to do. Always take the anti-emetic first, then the narcotic a bit later so the anti emet is already in your system. Also always take them with food.

And before surgery, have the doc put the anti emetic in your IV...be totally honest with the doc and nurses...they've heard it all and won't think anything of it. Best of luck to you, and I hope everything goes well!
    "In nothing be anxious....." Phil. 4:6