Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New member, need some advice!

Hello! I'm a long time lurker on this site but today I've finally worked up the courage to make and account and post. I've had emetephobia my entire life, since I can remember I've had a crippling fear of v*. I didn't have to deal with v* for around 13 years, I hadn't gotten sick in that long and honestly in those years it had never really crossed my mind very much. Three years ago I caught a really bad stomach bug and I became so sick that I ended up in the hospital and it took me months to recover. I went to countless doctors because it seemed like the "stomach bug" symptoms never went away. I finally got a proper diagnosis of post viral IBS. Three years later I'm mostly recovered but it was a long road, and I still take extra precautions because I don't want to get sick again. It was a really traumatizing experience for me. Yesterday I was at my fiancées mom's house for breakfast and when we get there his older sister and his six year old niece also arrived. We had no idea they were going to be there. We also had no idea his niece was sick. I noticed that she had a cough and sounded really raspy. We were there for around 4 hours and the entire time she kept saying, "mom, I don't feel good I want to go home". Her mom wouldn't take her home and I kept thinking, just take her home she's obviously sick, why even bring her out in the first place?!" Needless to say, she ends up v* and as soon as it happened I bolted to the other room, and I felt instant panic. The entire time I was there I washed my hands around 10 times, she came up to me and hugged me once but I tried to be really vigilant about hand washing and not touching my face and using my hand sanitizer that supposedly kills the norovirus. We went home and I had a panic attack the rest of the night. I'm honestly so scared that I am going to get sick. At what point do I know that I'm "in the clear"? I've barely eaten anything, i know this is bad but all I had was soup for dinner last night and toast and ginger tea this morning. I'm back at work now trying to go about my day but I can't stop thinking about this, I drank 2tsp of apple cider vinegar last night in hopes that it might help. I know how all this sounds to people who don't understand, I feel like I sound so dramatic. There is a possibility that she might have gotten sick from the medicine they gave her for her cough, or it could not be a stomach bug at all, it is possible but isn't it rare for someone to have a cold and a stomach bug at the same time? I'm having other health issues at the moment me this is the last thing I need. I'm sorry this was so long, I will take any advice that anyone has! Thank you!

Default Re: New member, need some advice!

Im sorry nobody replied before now. I don't come on the site so often at the moment. All being well you are doing better now. Don't apologise, it's happened to us all frequently. It's so scary when something like this happens. Why do people bring their children out when they're ill! The poor kid obviously wanted to be home

Default Re: New member, need some advice!

If everyone just stayed home when they were sick, far, far fewer people would end up sick. It's crazy to think about it!