Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Panicking..

Default Panicking..

So last Friday was the Homecoming game for my school (Well, I graduated a year early, but I still call it my school haha). It wasn't the best night, as the girl I was seeing sort of.. left me without telling me she was going to stop seeing me, instead she told me by going with another guy, haha.. but anyways..

I decided to go hang out with a friend of mine, who I used to date, and her boyfriend. Even though I was kind of third wheeling, I still had fun. Though, just minutes ago, she had told me how her boyfriend is currently sick with a fever and has been sleeping all day. She told me that everybody who went to the Homecoming game has been getting sick, that's what scared the shit out of me.

I haven't heard of anybody that I know of getting sick so far, aside from her boyfriend. Plus it's Monday and I'm currently fine, but I'm still pretty scared.

Of course, what's going through my mind is that its the stomach virus that was being passed around, but it could be flu or other sicknesses too, not necessarily bugs that cause vomiting. But how can I relax? Is there any reassurance for me? Or advice at least?

Default Re: Panicking..

In my experience, people tend to be dramatic about "what everyone is sick with right now." Truth is, the majority of us emets don't catch the bugs that "everyone else has" because we are vigilant with our hand washing. Additionally, I find that when people say "everyone has X sickness" it really means a couple of people close to them are ill, likely did not practice proper hand washing, and passed the bug along to one another. Finally, if he wasn't symptomatic when you were around him, your chances of coming down with anything are very low. Not to mention it's been over 72 hours. I think you will be just fine!