Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How likely is it that I’m going to get sick?

My uncle had the stomach virus from August 11th - August 14th. I didn’t know he had the virus when I went to use the restroom, all I know was I had to hurry up while using it because he had to go, so I barely washed my hands. Maybe like 5 seconds, and I barely had any soap on them.

I grabbed my coke bottle before we left, my hands weren’t washed properly, so already I figured I transferred the virus on them.
    Now, this was pretty dumb of me, but I ended up putting and keeping that bottle in the mini fridge, where my mom puts mine and my sister’s drinks. It’s just been sitting there in one particular spot.

Today, I bought a drink, and I told my mom to NOT put it in the fridge. Guess where she put it? In the fridge, TOUCHING the damn bottle.

Because I couldn’t go buy another one (yes, my anxiety is that bad), I ended up drinking some of it. From what I’ve seen at least, the caps weren’t touching, but the sides were. I just opened it and drank from it, then I left it on the table.

My mom ended up throwing away the old bottle. She makes me super mad because she’s ignorant about the virus. She thinks viruses are the same as bacteria and all you need is sanitizer to kill it. I’m not allowed to say anything back because I’m just a psycho in her eyes.

And now I’m scared because I’m positive she didn’t wash her hands or barely did after touching the bottle.

But will I get sick from drinking from the new soda that touched the old one?

Default Re: How likely is it that I’m going to get sick?

I know how you feel. It’s actually comforting others get so worried about this virus too. But from my opinion you’re going to be just fine. The virus can only live on surfaces or fabrics for up to a few weeks at maximum. If you haven’t got ill by this point (not that you would have) you are FOR sure going to be fine

To help you feel better I’m sure you could sanitize the fridge and some common handles and knobs you might touch, but even if you didn’t do that I think you’d be fine!
    ~~~The One Winged Angel~~~