Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default am i the only one here who doesn't abbreviate words?

So lately I've been seeing so many people here abbreviate words associated with emetophobia such as: nause(a)(ous), vomit(ed)(ing), stomach virus, food poisoning, diarrhea, and probably many more that I don't know about. Well tbh, I think it's actually super annoying. I have emetophobia, but I can handle those words without going into a panic spiral, and if I can handle it, so can everyone else with emetophobia. Besides, you know what they're talking about when they abbreviate these terms, so you guys might as well NOT abbreviate them.

Default Re: am i the only one here who doesn't abbreviate words?

Hey man, thought we were together in this? I actually get super anxious typing out the whole words. I was in a medical terminology class last year and had to write some vocabulary and after typing v* out, I had to stop for a few minutes and talk to my gf to calm down a bit because I was so anxious. It's just easier for some people.

I never abbreviate. Many of us don't. Some of us refuse to abbreviate because it constitutes giving in to the phobia. There is no policy in the forum that someone has to abbreviate or not.

I don't know why some emets abbreviate but people with other phobias don't.

There is a fear of flying, but in support groups for it, people don't abbreviate airp***e, fli**t, tak****, lan***g.

There is a fear of dogs, but in support groups for it, people don't abbreviate d**, co***e, retr****r, Sn***y
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't abbreviate either. Words can't make us vomit.

I always abbreviate to respect the people on this forum who can't handle the actual words themselves, and I will abbreviate in this post as well. I myself am not bothered by reading the actual words, but I know it can cause panic attacks for others. We're all getting through this phobia at a different pace and it affects everyone differently. What might send you into a panic attack might be fine for me and vice versa. People are on this website to feel supported, and not using abbreviations is doing the exact opposite for some members of the forum. I would personally hate to drive away someone who really needs the encouragement dealing with the same issues I deal with on a daily basis because of something simple. I understand some people don't see the big deal in using the full words because they're just words, but for some, reading about v* is almost, if not just as bad as actually experiencing v*. No, words won't make us v*, but in reality, neither will half of the stuff that makes us all panic so much. It may seem irrational, but this whole phobia is irrational. I just feel that it's insensitive to our fellow emets to not abbreviate. We're all battling this beast. It doesn't take much time to simply put a star in place of the actual word. In fact, it takes a lot less time. Yes, we all know what the words are, but for some, not actually spelling it out can make all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    I never abbreviate. Many of us don't. Some of us refuse to abbreviate because it constitutes giving in to the phobia. There is no policy in the forum that someone has to abbreviate or not.

I don't know why some emets abbreviate but people with other phobias don't.

There is a fear of flying, but in support groups for it, people don't abbreviate airp***e, fli**t, tak****, lan***g.

There is a fear of dogs, but in support groups for it, people don't abbreviate d**, co***e, retr****r, Sn***y
    LOL, thank goodness I can type Snoopy without having a panic attack! (I see you sent me a message, but I can't retrieve it for some reason)