Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question What are some "extreme" measures you've taken to avoid v* when n*?

There have been times where I have done a few "crazy" things to fight back v* when really n*. I'm actually a little embarrassed to post these - hoping you all can somewhat relate or at very least not think I am completely crazy! What have some of you done to prevent v* when either very n* or on the verge of v*? Here's some of mine:

- I once read something from a nurse who swore that the smell of rubbing alcohol would ease n* in her patients instantaneously. So she would often use cotton balls with alcohol on them to put under the patients nose for a second or two. After reading this, sometimes when I am really n* or keep smelling something unpleasant that may trigger n* I either sniff isopropryl alcohol and as a last ditch effort I actually put some on cotton balls/tissues and stuff them up my nose to avoid smelling anything. Yes, it does burn!

- I try to dry out my mouth with medications, paper towels, or using alcohol based mouth wash frequently.

- When super n* I avoid brushing my teeth which KILLS me because I am an avid brusher!

- I've eaten half a bottle of antacids, 3/4 a box of Nauzene (an otc anti-emetic), a whole bag of ginger chews/gum/peppermints etc. Not all of these in one sitting but maybe one of these at a time. Very large quantities though.

-I was so close to v* recently I laid on the bathroom floor and shoved the side of my forearm in my mouth and bit down hard. I figured this way would prevent anything from coming up and out with my arm being in the way and the pain from biting down would distract from the n*. It helped for a while. Next day I had a huge mouth/teeth shaped raised bruise that was hard to explain to people.

-I've minor self harmed with a rubber band around my wrist to distract from n* - snapped it until there were painful marks for days.

I'll add more if I think of any!

Default Re: What are some "extreme" measures you've taken to avoid v* when n*?

When I was a kid (about seven years old), I refused to swallow for about a week. I was afraid I'd swallow germs (or "poison") and get sick (being young, I didn't know how to communicate this to my parents). So I'd spit into tissues, my sleeve, the sink...eventually, my parents took me to the doctor, who basically gave me a physical and told me there was nothing wrong with me. Nothing bad would happen if I swallowed.

As an adult, I either shut my mouth tightly or put a cough drop in my mouth (to block anything, I guess). For about three years, I'd suck on or chew a cough drop whenever I was nervous. I went through a LOT of cough drops and burned sections of my tastebuds off a few times from the medicine in there.

I eat A LOT of peppermints And sometimes resort to pinching myself as a distraction to the n*.

Glad I'm not the only "innocent self harm"er.. some classics of mine are chewing peppermint gum EXCESSIVELY, chewing my lip, biting nails (this has become a rare one these days as I've forked out 2k for braces!) And my personal favourite, fast inhaling... Last time it almost happened I just remember taking sudden sharp breaths in the freezing cold even though I wanted to freeze. I also find that typing to people helps and will admit to spending half my day on random chat rooms when I come close to it as I feel anonymous and safe...

Oh I also sniff calming shower gel (this helped after a terrible date night last year when I ate some disgusting seafood)

I'm bad to eat lots of peppermint, tums or nauzene, and chew gum. I mean a crazy amount if I'm having a bad day. I never really thought of it as self harm though. But I guess it is. It's sure not healthy.

the one i'm comfortable sharing is that i will go outside and pace no matter where i am, what the weather is like, or what time it is. i try not to do this in the heat because heat makes me feel worse so in that case i try to pace in the shade. i lift my shirt and rub my stomach while i'm pacing lol. i'm sure i'm a sight to see.

Oh my god hahah I once bit myself too? Felt I was about to V* and for some reason just shoved my lower leg in my mouth and had teeth shaped bruises for days after. To be fair the pain did distract me momentarily but didn't appreciate it much later on

I can't go anywhere without a bottle of gingerale. literally nowhere. I will go into a full blown panic if I don't have some with me, it's ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by midnightmooncos View Post
    the one i'm comfortable sharing is that i will go outside and pace no matter where i am, what the weather is like, or what time it is. i try not to do this in the heat because heat makes me feel worse so in that case i try to pace in the shade. i lift my shirt and rub my stomach while i'm pacing lol. i'm sure i'm a sight to see.
    oh my I do the same exact thing with the rubbing on my stomach. haha! cooler weather makes me feel better and hot weather makes me feel worse too.

I eat my gravol ginger chewables like there is no tomorrow.

I pace too! And it helps to calm your brain if you retrace the same steps. Lots of similar, self harm-less things can ease your mind, but they take a little more time than a bite to the arm. Putting objects in a familiar order, like numerical or size, gets your brain into trends it can recognize. Your brain is happier with the patterns and it's an easier transition out of the chaos we create for ourselves when we don't feel good.

You could try something like organizing the shirts in your closet by color. If you're still not distracted, try sleeve length. Or you can try putting all those receipts (that somehow end up in your purse or pocket no matter how many you have thrown away) in order by the transaction date. If you're able to sit still for long enough, try a puzzle.

Believe me, I've tried my fair share of interesting techniques too. But training your mind with patterns is definitely a safer way!!

I sit in the toilet until I have to poop. If it’s not d* that generally calms me immediately.