Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Having children

Hi everyone, I'm new here-my name is Kat. Nice to meet you all[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

My question is, how do those of you with children deal when they get sick? FOr those of you without children, have you made a conscious decision NOT to have them based on your phobia?

My husband and I have been discussing this a lot recently, and he feels like I'd be one of the people who wouldn't be able to deal with it, even if it was my own children. I'm afraid he's probably right.

It makes me feel horrible, knowing that I will probably never have kids for such a stupid reason. At the same time, I think it'd be better NOT to have any than to have them and feel like I'm a bad parent when they get sick.

tHIS WAS OnE OF THE MAIN REASONS i NEVER WANTED ANY CHILDREN. However, I got pregnant unplanned and I'm dealing with it. I have so much love for my son that I just deal with it when he's sick. I'm not saying people who avoid their kids when their sick do not love them. I feel like running for the hillswhen my son gets sick but I guess mother nature just kicks in and I just deal with it. I have to because noone else will. I just leave him by himself when he gets sick. When his dad comes home from work and he's sick thats when I sign off, but other than that I take care of him. Am I dreading the next time he gets sick? Of course I' am but I find myself just dealing with it. I'm actually suprised about how well I handle it. I don't mind it I'm just afraid that I will catch it. Thats the only real problem I have. My son is probabky the only person I will deal with that has d* or is v*. Now, if his dad was sick I'd be out of this house faster than anything.

I understand where you are comming from though. I went through the same thing but I got pregnant unplanned and I had a baby. Its not as hard as I thought it was going to be. Kids are well worth it plus ts not like their sick all of the time. Hope that helps:O)
    Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus.- Colossians 3:17

It is so hard to explain this, but you do change when your little one arrives. The feelings of love and responsibility are overwhelming...and you know that whatever that little one throws at you, you will deal with it. I dread my kids getting sick, but like most mothers here, I deal with it because that's what I'm conditioned to do. If you think your kid is suffering, you'll move hell and high water to make things better for them, and this goes for v* too!

Like Tanya, my main concern is that I'll catch it, but that worry comes afterwards. At the time, you deal with it, and it's not as bad as you think it's going to be, though you never want it to happen again - weird really.

If you want kids, then go for it, never let this emet stop you. They don't get sick that often!

I have a two year old son and I am a single mom, so I get stuck taking care of him no matter what...d*, v*, you name it. I've beenpuked on and pooped on so many times (more poop than v*, thank God), and my only fear, like the other moms that posted, is that I'll get it too. Then I get scared that I'll be too terrified of v* myself that I won't be able to take care of him too. But like the others said, you get so consumed in wanting your child to feel better that the emet takes the backseat for a while. I do feel like running away when my son gets a sv and I do have frequent panic attacks when he is sick, but you just take it one step at a time and then its over. Don't let the emet stop you from having a child. They are WAY more fun and entertaining than they are sick.
    Proud to be a FIREFIGHTER\'S GIRLFRIEND!!

Well I used to think that I would never be able to handle it before I had kids. Surprisingly, I don't have a problem with them being sick, my major fear is catching it from them. If I've already had the SV, I can be around them and watch/hear them V* and it won't bother me.

My oldest actually had undiagnosed reflux as a baby and when she would "spit up" I would be drenched from head to toe. It was awful but it didn't bother me. I think baby V* is in a whole different category than kid or adult V*. I've never seen or heard my dh V*. That would totally freak me out. I have no idea why. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

Coincidentally, I've been pregnant 4 times (3 living) and have never had morning sickness either, praise God! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I wondered too how I would be to if -when my child got ill... I shall find out soon enough being I am 33 weeks pregnant! DH thinks I will beok and able to deal with it and says he will help with whatever he can. My biggest fear is catching a sv! If I knew I would not catch it, I would probably be a lot better all around...

I have recently realized that Ishouldn't plan on bringing children into the world until I've been successfully treated for this. I'm not saying that emetophobics don't make good parents- I just want to ensure that I can be the best parent that I am capable of.Emetophobia will definitely prevent me from doing so.

My parents certainly made their share of mistakes, but one thing that they always did right was take care of me when I was ill. Not being able to do what my parents did for me when I was sick will not only be a detriment to the child, but also to my own self esteem. I'm using this as my incentive to get over this (I've come a long way, but still have aways to go).

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like Suze said, having that little baby put into your arms after having them moving and kicking inside you definitely changes you. It's inexplicable really but it definitely happens. The thing is you will be able to take care of children and please, please, please....don't let this phobia keep you from being a parent. It truly is one of lifes greatest joys! Even if you never completely get over being an emet you'll deal with a sick child. Like the other ladies have said, my fear really only kicks in afterward when I worry that husband or I will get it next. Of course that's my worry whenever I feel sick...I think "Oh God, are my husband and son going to get this?" And again like Suze said..when you think of 365 days a year how often is your child going to throw up? Not that many - all those days of pure joy will far outweight any vomit episodes.

I have a 5 year old and one on the way and I agree with all of the above posts . . . you just deal with it because you love your child so much! I have gotten much better with dealing with the v* of other people, I just get panicky because I'm so afraid that I will catch it.

If you truly want to have children and this is the only reason you wouldn't want to, my advice to you is NOT to let this fear win!!!

I agree, I am only panicky becauseI am afraid of catching it. I also just hate the looks on their faces while they're doing it, I just feel so sorry for them!!!!! I hate seeing them suffering!!!My emet used tonot be this severe--the first times my kids had sv's, I panicked, of course, but I didn't spend my life obsessing over themlike I do now, my kids just throw up more than your average children, but I keep having more, sothat should be an indicator that they are so worth it, I can't imagine a day without them!!! (Although sometimes I would like a day without them!![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img])