Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Colonoscopy and endoscopy - anyone want to share their experience??

Has anyone ever had either of these? I have been having stomach issues. Im convinced it just anxiety but my doctor is suggesting that i check it out to be sure. He wants me to schedule a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. (Im young 30's)

Obviously i am terrified of the anesthesia!! I don't like when i feel drugged and i definitely don't like the idea that something could make me ill.

I would like to hear about your experiences.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Colonoscopy and endoscopy - anyone want to share their experience??

I've had both of these procedures. Most of the time the anesthesia they give you is also an anti-emetic, so you don't have to worry about n*/v*. I asked my dr. for an anti-emetic, and that's what they said. You can ask yours and they may give you one. Both procedures it just felt as if I woke up from a long nap. I've also had other surgeries with more intense anesthesia and never had n*/v* either.

Endoscopy, your throat may feel a little scratchy afterwards, but it's not really noticeable in my opinion.

Colonoscopy, you may experience gas afterwards. The only annoying part about colonoscopy is the prep for it, but it's definitely manageable and I know a ton of people on here have done it.

Those are literally the only negative things and they really aren't even that bad. All in all, I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I know I was anxious (for no reason) before my procedures.

I ditto the post above. I've had both procedures multiple times (Chrons Disease) and they have gone smoothly. Scratchy throat and gas for couple hours are really the only side effects. Good luck!

I've had both. An endo twice tho. The most recent time was last year. Although I was SUPER nervous both times, it's not as bad as you think. I think I may need one again tho! I think I could have an ulcer so I feel like my GI doc will suggest one. And yes, I am nervous, even thought it's not definite yet. But it's OK to be nervous. Ask your doctor what type of anesthesia he thinks they use. I have been under propofol before and had no issues. My most recent out-patient procedure (not an endo tho) I was put under anesthesia but it wasn't propofol. They didn't tell me what it was but I was fine after that as well.

Just talk to your doctor. Let us know how things turn out.

I just got an endoscopy done last month. It went smoothly. The anesthesiologist informed me that they would put anti-emetic medication into the anesthesia. I woke up feeling fine. I think they actually gave me a gas to put me to sleep. I didn't feel a thing. After waking up I felt good, no pain in throat, no nausea. After a few minutes those I had to fart a lot, don't know why because i got an endoscopy, not a colonoscopy. It was probably the anesthesia, but i felt so good the rest of the day. I hope everything goes smoothly and well for you too, good luck!

Hello! Here's my 2 cents' worth. I've had both...endo is easier than colon. SO for the prep, don't worry about drinking the stuff in the time they tell you. Just take your time with it. Also, depending on the prep, you can put it in different beverages. I used hot broth, apple juice, and ginger ale, and kept alternating those. And don't worry about finishing it all. Once you are clear, you can stop. These tricks helped me. Also, I have woken up from anesthesia and right away they want to move you and get you going...that made me nauseous. So don't let them push you out the door!!! Take your time, and when you do eat, eat very bland to start. The whole thing is really pretty easy but these are just a few things I've learned after having these done a few times. Good luck hun!!!!!!!!
    "In nothing be anxious....." Phil. 4:6