Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Roommate has something

Hey, all. I've lurked here forever. But I need some help.

So, my roommate on Friday told me she was pretty sure she had SV because she kept having to urgently go to the bathroom. But, she seemed fine, otherwise. Cheerful and talkative. Them, yesterday, she went out to a karaoke bar with friends, also seemed fine. She stayed gone all night, and didn't come back til this morning. Well, I happen to have been having some upper respiratory stuff going on, so I went to the clinic and they told me I have a sinus infection and gave me some antibiotics. So, I texted my roommate and told her, and she was like "Oh, we're both s*, but with different things." So, I texted her back asking her if her tummy was still bothering her. Because, usually, if someone was had SV on Friday, by Sunday they'd be on the mend. But she said she was. But then she was raving about how much fun she had last night.
    Then, when I got back to the apartment, she V* in the bathroom (I think.) The thing is, otherwise, she seems fine. She ate two meals today (like, real food. Pad Thai and whatnot.) She's intending to go to work tomorrow. Everything about her symptoms sounds like she's fine, and doesn't have SV. But, she's still having v* and d*. I'm scared, because we share a bathroom, and on top of that, I have this sinus infection that I'm nursing. I haven't been in the bathroom all day, and I don't intend to use it. I've been using the toilet in the gym of our building (down in the basement.) I intend to shower at my university tomorrow morning before my first class. I also went a bit overboard and bought Anti-viral face masks, rubber gloves, and Lysol toilet bowl cleaner (which I've been too scared to even go into the bathroom to use.)
    I just don't understand her behavior vs her symptoms. She basically seems fine. Behaving normal. She went to work Thursday and Friday (she said it started Thursday.) She went out last night and stayed out all night. Don't you usually feel like utter crap with a SV?

I also asked her if she thinks she might be pregnant (she's been seeing a new guy), and she says she just had a period. IDK. I'm really nervous, and I'm so afraid to get sick and I haven't eaten, because I'm afraid. And I'm super aware of every single stomach sensation I feel. I'm also thinking of packing a bag and sleeping in the library at my university for a few nights. (I don't really know anyone in the city well enough to sleep over.)

Default Re: Roommate has something

So, my roommate went to work today. She sent me a text saying she felt MUCH better after v* and she "probably just needed to get everything out of [her] system." Which made me even more anxious. I asked her to thoroughly clean the bathroom and everything she touched, to which she responded that she did this morning. But if she did it before she went to work, she didn't clean thoroughly. And, like, again, it sounds like something else was bothering her, because as far as I understand, with a sv, you typically are down for a day or two. She spend the whole weekend going out and eating normal food (pad thai? Pad thai is not something you eat when you're sick, because it's very spicy and substantial.) But I can't help thinking she DID have something. She said it started on like Thursday, with d*. And I showered at the gym today, because I was so afraid to use the same bathroom. It's been crazy. I keep spending extra money and using any bathroom but the one in the apartment. I even almost booked a hotel, today.
    Does this sound like a sv or something food related? Or maybe she thought it was all related, but she drank too much Saturday night and yesterday was just a hang-over? Again, she went out Saturday night and didn't even come home until Sunday morning. But she said she thought she caught a sv. Which... doesn't compute. I'm freaking out. I think I'm gonna buy some bleach/bleach-based cleaner and clean everything before she comes home, and keep cleaning it every day for the next three days. I'm also going to run the dishes through the dishwasher. Should I put bleach in the dishwasher, or buy bleach packs or something? I'm freaking out, man.

I think you'll be fine as long as you dont use the same bathroom as her and wash your hands more often than usual try to
    Clean everything she touches...I feel
    Super sick during my period the whole week if I didn't have emet pretty sure I'd v* stay safe! After a few days clean the bathroom
    With bleach, good luck!sending you positive energy and prayers!

Maybe it's not a sv, if she eats all that stuff. My two friends are roomates for 3 years now and now and then I find out that one of them is sick with vomiting, but as far as I know, the other one would never catch it. I have a big fear of living with someone because of situations like this.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like a SV to me. When someone gets a SV, they typically don't want to even look at food, let alone eat it. Let alone eat Thai food!

There's a lot of reasons why a person may v* that aren't contagious. For example, if she had some mild stomach upset already from something she had eaten and she tossed alcohol and Thai food on top, that could definitely make someone sick.

Also, to echo what wanted posted, even if it is a SV, that doesn't mean you'll get it. Although SV pass easily, most people don't take the type of precautions an emet does. And even those who take few precautions typically avoid it. Article I read tonight from the Cleveland Clinic said only 1 in 15 Americans comes down with norovirus every year. That's about 6.5% of the population. It just seems like it's everywhere because we're so aware of it as emets.

That said, it doesn't hurt to be careful. Personally, for me, taking the precautions makes me feel better, even if I know the cause isn't likely contagious.