Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Question

Default Question

I haven’t been on this forum in forever, i forgot I even had an account on here.

I used to come on this forum to calm myself down and read what others were going through, which ended up helping me. I found out about this forum after being s*ck a few years ago, when I became very scared to get s*ck again.

I’m not like others although, I’ve outgrew and learnt how to feel better with hearing/saying the words V* and D*, I just say it like that on here not to upset people.

Anyways, it happened again sadly, I got a stomach virus on Monday Oct 16th, 2017. I ended up V* which was very hard for me, it only happened twice but it was enough to show I was feeling very ill. It started around 1pm but I didn’t end up V* till around 8-9:30 PM. After that it didn’t happen again, but I continued to feel gross the next few days on after I tried to eat to get back in my normal routine.

My main question and concern is this, Being someone who loves food, Than getting s*ck. it’s already been a week. I now look at food and feel gross (discomfort, not hungry) I’m so worried because it’s been a week now, and I still can’t eat that much. I’ve been getting up and walking, it’s not like I’m Ill anymore, I even am going to work. It’s just I’m not myself with food. I feel gross, and not good when I think about eating (get very anxious). I want to be able to eat but I don’t know if it’s my head playing games on me with a mixture of gross feelings when I eat still. I’m not sure on what I should do, I’m super anxious 24/7 with questions constantly crossing through my mind thinking things like, (when will I be myself again, is something wrong with me? I don’t want to get ill if I eat). This past week has been super rough I don’t know how ill get better. I honestly don’t know if this could be tricking myself into thinking something is wrong or true gross feelings.

Default Re: Question

It's been about ten days since you posted, so I hope you're feeling better now.

It's not rare for you to feel "off" for awhile after having a stomach virus. And if you have anxiety, that can also make your stomach feel "off" and kill your appetite.

My suggestion would be eat lightly and blandly for another week or so (if you're not already feeling better). Eat enough to get by (if you don't eat at all for long periods, that can make you feel sick, too), but don't force yourself to eat a lot. And stick to the BRAT diet -- bananas, applesauce, rice, toast. If you need protein, try lean mild things like chicken or turkey.

If after that you still don't feel better, you might want to see your doctor just to make sure nothing else is going on. You could also ask about a short-term course of an anti-anxiety med to see if that makes you feel better.