Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Opportunity to get the norovirus vaccine

The company that is developing the norovirus vaccine, Takeda, is recruiting volunteers to be inoculated with the vaccine. This is not a challenge study. No one will be infected with norovirus as a result of this study.

The volunteers will be given the vaccine and then checked up on at one-year intervals to see how it's working. If you can get in on the study, you will be able to be vaccinated years before the rest of us will be.

You might be able to get in on the study if you live in or near one of these places:
    • Antwerpen, Belgium
    • Gent, Belgium
    • Birmingham, Alabama
    • Fountain Hills, Arizona
    • Littleton, Colorado
    • Miami, Florida
    • Lenexa, Kansas
    • St. Louis, Missouri
    • Endwell, New York
    • Rochester, New York
    • Austin, Texas
    • Seattle, Washington

If you want to sign up for the study, call the Takeda Study Registration Call Center at (877) 825-3327

The NCT number for the study is NCT03039790.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Opportunity to get the norovirus vaccine

I would never do this. You don't know what kind of side effects you could get! And I am not an anti-vaccine person. But for noro? I'd be way too afraid. More power to all the brave people who volunteer!

Interesting. So this means they’re at the point of testing where they’ve proven that it’s effective, and are now testing if it interferes with other medications or medical conditions.

That's amazing news! I didn't know they were still seriously researching it! I live really close to Antwerpen but I'm way to scared to be a test subject for stuff like that but knowing that there might come a day that my mind and other emetophobes their mind will be more at peace is amazing!

My fear would be that the common side-effects of this vaccine would be nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. In other words, noro-like symptoms. My other fear would be that it wouldn't work.
    As with most - if not all - vaccines, there's no guarantee that everyone will be 100% immune. So what would be the point? Also, as with all new medications... who knows what the unforeseen complications of injecting this into your body could be - so much could go wrong. I'm not trying to fear-monger here, if you want to get the vaccine, by all means do it - it's your decision. I'm just voicing my personal fears about this vaccine.

Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are not side effects of the norovirus vaccine. That would be ridiculous. The vaccine has been shown to lessen the occurrence of norovirus and to reduce the severity of norovirus in those who get it. I will definitely get it when it is available but I am not able to get in this trial.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by soulnurturer View Post
    My fear would be that the common side-effects of this vaccine would be nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. In other words, noro-like symptoms. My other fear would be that it wouldn't work.
    As with most - if not all - vaccines, there's no guarantee that everyone will be 100% immune. So what would be the point? Also, as with all new medications... who knows what the unforeseen complications of injecting this into your body could be - so much could go wrong. I'm not trying to fear-monger here, if you want to get the vaccine, by all means do it - it's your decision. I'm just voicing my personal fears about this vaccine.
    I agree 100% with everything you said. I wouldn't take this vaccine even if forced upon me. Lol.

Thank you Doug! I'm actually considering doing it as I live near Seattle.

Dang it! It looks like you have to have previously participated in a noro study in order to participate in this one. Here is what it say online:

Ages Eligible for Study: 18 Years and older (Adult, Senior)
    Sexes Eligible for Study: All
    Accepts Healthy Volunteers: Yes
    Criteria
    Inclusion Criteria:
    1. Male and female participants who previously received at least 1 dose of Norovirus GI.1/GII.4 bivalent VLP (NoV) vaccine in trials NOR-107, NOR-210, NOR-204 and NOR-222, have baseline and post-vaccination data, and completed the primary vaccination trial protocol as initially described.
    Exclusion Criteria:
    Participation in any clinical trial is allowed, on condition that no investigational product is administered within 30 days prior to blood sampling.
    In the opinion of the investigator, the participant is not medically eligible to provide blood specimens.
    Individuals with behavioral or cognitive impairment or psychiatric disease that, in the opinion of the investigator, may interfere with the participant's ability to participate in the trial.

I'm going to keep an eye on these and hope that eventually, they're recruiting volunteers in Canada! Unless I'd be able to participate in one in Seattle, as I'm only a few hours north.

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Nobody has to be scared to get noro from the vaccin... That's simply impossible! I read how this vaccin works in the reports and they remove the RNA in the viral particles (So it aren't just weak virusses.. these virusses are incomplete so not functional). A virus is actually just a protein with some RNA enclosed in it. Just so you got a basic idea how a virus works: when the viral particles enter your body they will inject their RNA (Sometimes DNA depending on the type of virus) in your cells. Your cells will then start to use this RNA to make more viral particles. If your cell is filled with viral particles it will rupture releasing those newly made virusses. Since the virusses they vaccinate you with don't have RNA they can't multiplicate and can't make you sick ! If you don't get how the vaccin works then: the protein "shell" contains an antigen, your body has antibodies that "click" with this antigen and mark it as foreign and ready for distruction (the RNA is inside the viral particle so it had no Influence on immunity). As soon as the foreign particle is detected more antibodies will be produced and also memory cells that give you immunity after sickness. You get sick because producing more antibodies take time.

Thought I'd write it here for all the people who are too scared to get vaccines I'm a vet student and for me it actually helps with my anxiety to know how all these things work.