Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Anxiety with airplanes

I have an airplane ride on Friday and this is my first time flying on my own. I am very scared and I hate the part when the plane goes up, that's when I feel a little off, not necessarily sick but just a little weird. I have very bad emetophobia with myself getting sick and I have claustrophobia. So the thought of being trapped in the sky with the possibility of airsickness is very unsettling. I always fly with my family members so I usually have someone calming me down, but this time I am on my own. Any tips or reassurances for flying? Anything is appreciated!

Default Re: Anxiety with airplanes

I'm envious that you're going alone! I am EXACTLY the same on my way up from planes, to the point where I have to confess that I have plane sickness... I had a friend with me in the summer and can't explain how difficult it was to act normal because she could sense something was wrong and continually asked me if I was ok... I wished it was me and the quiet stranger because I knew I didn't have to pretend everything was ok. If you really do wanna communicate with someone, ask them if they want some chewing gum. A few people use it for ear popping (I used it for my n* which was a saviour) and then perhaps talking will take your mind off it. Personally I think it's more calming alone though so you can get your thoughts together....

You'll be fine... I had my first two flights just 4 months ago and I was PETRIFIED, sweating, shaking but managed to eat a pizza beforehand and I was fine once I was in the sky...