Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Newbie needing help :(

Hi everyone Im so glad I found this site. Please excuse if I say anything inappropriate or triggering - as a said, a newbie here. I REALLY REALLY need help or advice or ANYTHING please.
    I suffer from emetophobia - its SO bad I avoid eating out etc etc Im sure im not the first here. It effects me so much.
    So Friday evening I popped into pharmacy to collect anti anxiety meds (I had just come from bereavement counselling, i lost my Mum in May).
    When I arrived at pharmacy one of the staff was cleaning the floor. A little boy had been ((sorry cant even say it). I completely freaked out as staff member told me that was the 8th case of that virus into pharmacy that day!!!!
    That was Friday. Since then I am LITERALLY sitting frozen to the spot in fear of "v". I read all about incubation periods for bugs and all that (bloody google) and Im SO SO terrified. (Google said 72 hours which will be tomorrow evening but then I read a post and it said incubation can be up to a week???!!!!) Id rather be with my mum at this stage. Can anyone shed any light on it for me PLEASE - this is killing me I am SO SO terrified. Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Newbie needing help :(

Hey Charlie!

I'm really sorry about your loss, that for sure must have tilted the severity of your anxiety, and I hope you are getting the right counselling ..

I'd be petrified too but don't forget to remind yourself that you have to intake the virus riiiight into your digestive tract to feel the effects, so even if you stepped in it five times, you probably would NOT have many chances of catching even a quarter of the virus ...
    It's good that you're vigilant but do not worry yourself ; my ex boyfriend had me KISS him a few years ago during a sv* cos he thought he was simply food poisoned and yet, I didn't get it ...

If you're fine now you'll be perfect. I hope you're ok

the cheesecake17 thank you SO SO much for the reply - you have no idea how much it means. Im SO alone in this as nobody understands this at all. I guess apart from the obvious my terror was due to conflicting articles on google about "incubation periods' - one said 24-72 hours and another said "up to a week of incubation before you start to "V". And also some of the Health services info on goole said that there is a "mist" thats airborne right after someone (sorry cant say it) and thats my terror - that I breathed it in .
    Its been over 72 hours now. Do you think Im okay? Thank u again for you words.

I think that by the time you entered, any airborne particles would have settled. I sat 3 feet away from someone violently sick for over 5 minutes, and never got it.

SRK2756 thanks so much for the reply. You very kind.
    So its well over 72 hours now - stilll getting periods of intense fear with nausea (anxiety based nausea). Am i out of the woods?
    Thanks again/