Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation 20 hour first flight!! Scared out of my brain! Please help!!!!

HEY, YOU GUYS!

in March, I am flying from Paris to New York City. This is my first flight ever and I am terrified. I'll be on my own and it's a 20+ hour connection. Fortunately it's a one time thing and I'll be living in NYC after that so I'll never have to do it again, but that doesn't make me less afraid. However, because I have Asperger's syndrome and I'm absolutely terrified of being around people in that sort of situation, I managed to get upgraded to business class on Emirates. Then the airline called me and told me that I was eligible for another upgrade, this time to First Class, provided I take a longer itinerary and fly from Paris to Dubai, and from Dubai to New York. Knowing that the Emirates first class is like having a little room of your own with a proper bed (just Google it, and you'll see what I mean), so I said yes immediately without realising one thing - it's a 14+ hour flight from Dubai to JFK. This means a 7 hour flight, then a two-hour layover, then another 15-ish hours before I touch down and go home. AND IT'S MY FIRST FLIGHT.

I am freaking out. I tried asking about this before but nobody responded. What can I do???

I'm terrified that someone will v*.
    I'm terrified that someone will give me noro.
    I'm terrified that I'll feel n* or even v*. (I once went on a 12 hour car journey and didn't feel N* at all, but I'm still freaking out about this).
    I'm terrified that I'll have a giant, wobbler, pee-your-pants, shit-the-bed panic attack.
    YIKES.

Please help me, guys. I need all the advice you have.

Default Re: 20 hour first flight!! Scared out of my brain! Please help!!!!

Congratulations on qualifying for such a posh flight. Paris, NYC, Dubai... you are one very cosmopolitan emet!

1. Most likely, no one will vomit. And if they do, it won't be contagious.

2. Norovirus season is pretty much over in March.

3. You won't vomit and you probably won't even feel nauseated. Bring whatever of your favorite food you can carry on your trip. Then you won't need to worry about the airline food.

4. Why panic? Panic won't help you prevent vomiting.

Can you take a flight from Paris to Brussels or London or Nice or someplace and back (like a 45 minute flight) so you can see what an airplane is like before you need a 7 hour flight?

On the other hand, imagine you don't fly and instead had to take an ocean liner from Southampton to New York.

1. Pretty much guaranteed a lot of people will vomit.

2. Outbreaks of norovirus on cruise ships are well known.

3. I wouldn't be able to reassure you that you won't vomit and won't feel nauseated.

Doug
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 11-23-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: 20 hour first flight!! Scared out of my brain! Please help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    Congratulations on qualifying for such a posh flight. Paris, NYC, Dubai... you are one very cosmopolitan emet!

1. Most likely, no one will vomit. And if they do, it won't be contagious.

2. Norovirus season is pretty much over in March.

3. You won't vomit and you probably won't even feel nauseated. Bring whatever of your favorite food you can carry on your trip. Then you won't need to worry about the airline food.

Can you take a flight from Paris to Brussels or London or Nice or someplace and back (like a 45 minute flight) so you can see what an airplane is like before you need a 7 hour flight?

On the other hand, imagine you don't fly and instead had to take an ocean liner from Southampton to New York.

1. Pretty much guaranteed a lot of people will vomit.

2. Outbreaks of norovirus on cruise ships are well known.

3. I wouldn't be able to reassure you that you won't vomit and won't feel nauseated.

Doug
    Hi, Doug!! Thanks sooooooooo much for your amazing reply. You really have made me feel better. Unfortunately I can't afford a 'practise flight' before the BIG DADDY 20 HOUR FLIGHT (semi-joke) but I do plan on 'faking' a flight by using my sofa as a seat/bed and basically sitting/lying there for 20-ish hours to see how I take that (because my fears are most likely rooted in my emetophobic little brain, teehee).
    I'm also going to get started with some sort of meditation program, so that I can decrease the panic felt during the actual flight.
    And yes, I am a very glamorous, rich, cosmopolitan emet (not really...probably by biggest actual problem will be acting fancy enough to keep up with the other people in first class!!!)
    Thanks again, Doug!! :-)