Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Mind over matter ?

OK so I'm new here and i apologize if my post is quite long

So obviously I suffer from emetophobia which is why I'm here I'm 25 now and have suffered nearly all my life. I had a very traumatic experience when I was 3 years old and ever since I have suffered this phobia.

I'm just wondering if any other emets believe in mind over matter when it comes to vomiting?

When I was you young and my siblings caught a sickness bug (I was 1 of 5) I remember If I felt sick in would tell myself over and over again 'I'm not going to be sick .. I'm not going to be sick' and I never was .. the last time I threw up was when I was 11 and i woke up and had no warning (which is part of the reason i don't sleep is because I fear waking up to be sick) I haven't thrown up since but have had times where I've been close but believe I stopped myself does anyone else believe in mind over matter when it comes to being sick?? Beth xxx

Default Re: Mind over matter ?

This is a good question but a difficult one. I recently heard that the v* involved with Norovirus isn't technically "necessary" as it is a reaction of the brain in regards to our infected guts.... Soooo there's me with the swine flu in 2009, feeling disgusting for five hours and then I had to RUN. I was up for a good 40 mins wretching but nothing happened. Then there's this year where I woke up at 6am for work and within 15 mins felt flushed, fevered and generally SICK. I wretched all of a sudden for the first time since 2009 and FREAKED ... From 6am-4pm I believe I had 9 times which I fought off needing to v* due to fever... Awful.. but it never happened..
    Then theres the 5 hour incidents in 2012, 2014 and 2015 when I felt absolutely DISGUSTING to the point where I almost wanted to v* after eating something bad as it was a 9.5/10 n* feeling but amazingly fought it off.... I'm not sure though :/ ... I've had a billion near incidents drinking in my first year of uni too and my birthday this year was an absolute CATASTROPHE for my stomach....

Buttt personally I think if we REALLY need to do it, we have to. I also think that depending on the atmosphere, it is avoidable.. before I knew I had the 24hour fever in January 2017, I put it down to hunger and almost went to get my 40minute journey bus; I can assure my streak would have DEFINITELY been broken...