Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I think I’m definitely going to get it now.

Me, my mom, and my sister went to go meet my dad to get money. Upon gettin there, he opened the door to my sister’s side of the car to hug her and talk to her. He then went to my side & did the same. The problem? His hand went across my face and his palm sort of went into my mouth (or the inside of my bottom lip I guess) for a brief second while he was putting his arm over me.

I’m scared because I don’t know if he’s been sick recently or not. I wouldn’t think he is as we met up with him maybe last week or so and he was fine. He’s a plumber though, so he fixes toilets & pipes. He washes his hands to eat but that’s about it. For all I know, he just got off a job after handling tools & touching someone's toilet (who’s to say it wasn’t a toilet someone had gotten sick in?) when he touched my mouth. I’m terrified right now, I’m pretty sure the stomach virus is inevitable..

Default Re: I think I’m definitely going to get it now.

There’s really no way of knowing - but I would say claiming you’re definitely going to get it is extreme.

I think the odds of you getting sick are extremely low. Even if he WAS actually working on a toilet, that doesn't mean there were sick people in the house, doesn't mean he didn't wash his hands, or even that you ingested enough of the particles or even any at all to make you sick. You should be fine

I honestly hope I don’t get sick. But I can’t say I will or I won’t and neither can y’all. Understandable. I really would like some comforting rather than reassurance. I’m hoping I’ll be fine but no telling if I will or won’t.

He doesn’t live in my city so he definitely was working. He just came from the auto shop, so he most likely just finished or left a job. I’m praying he did wash his hands, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Now it’s not like his hand full on went into my mouth but it did touch the inside of my lips and my teeth, so I feel chances of getting sick are, unfortunately, 50/50. It’s essentially a game of chance. Where was he? What was he working on? Was anyone sick on or near it? Etc.

All I can do now is hope & pray that no one’s been sick. I wouldn’t base my chances on this, but there hasn’t been any word about the stomach virus around town ‘nor on social media, so that’s kind of good but yeah.

Any advice if I do get sick while I play this torturous, mentally-draining, waiting game?