Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi,

As part of my final year as a med student, we take an elective(period abroad to see medicine elsewhere). It's about 2 months, and you can take part of that time to travel and have a holiday.

I am thinking of going to Cambodia, which would be amazing, really exciting and hands on from a medical perspective. I would be going on my own though, which is scaring me. It isn'ttil nextyear, but I need to decide where I am going pretty soon. I would really love to go there but I'm scared about being on my own, what to do if I should vomit, who I could turn to if I had any anxiety. Generally I manage my anxieties really well and am OK with travelling on the 'plane etc- although never flown on my own, which scares me a bit. It won't be that easy to just call up family or boyfriend up if I did have any anxieties. Also the country itself, hygiene wise, it would be inevitable to have some kind of dietary indiscretion at some point. Argh.

It's so stupid because the fear of e.g. getting attacked is so far in the back of my mind compared to this stupid fear. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all congratulations on being a medical student I find that so great with people who have this phobia. You are inspiration.
    It is scary going somewhere by yourself but I know that you can do it. You sound like a strong person, a very determined person.
    When you are in Cambodia will you be working with other people in the medical field? If yes then I am sure you can make friends while being there and can get help if you start to feel the anxiety coming on.
    My hat is off to you, this trip will be good for you.
    I wish you all the best

I have always been told one the hardest things about travelling abroad is the food situation. You have to eat what you are given unless you are allergic or you disrespect the host - or something like that. This scares me to death, which is one the reasons I am scared to travel abroad.

Before you pick your country, think about the hygene issues that might involved. Do you have to travel to 2nd or 3rd world countries? Can you travel to a more modern country with more modern medical advancements? Could you just travel abroad with the military from your own country as your "international" experience?

I would seriously sit down and consider what countries you would feel safest traveling to for whatever and ALL reasons involved. Another idea would be to talk to other people who have travelled as a medical student to foreign countries. They might be able to give you insight as to what to look for in identifying the best placement for you.

I do admire you for being a medical student and for having this phobia at the same time. Your career choice is proving that you are determined to beat this phobia head on! Hats off and hugs to you!!
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I say completely unequivocally- GO FOR IT! If Cambodia interests you and that is where you want to go- then go! As Ontariogirl said, there will be other people in the medical field there, and you will make some friends. A friend of mine went to East Timor aspart of his med school trainingand had a blast....although working in a clinic can be a bit depressing, as you are treating people who are so much worse off than you are. If anything, it may be good for your emet, as it will put it in perspective. How insignificant vomit is compared to the suffering so many people have to go through.

<<<You have to eat what you are given unless you are allergic or you disrespect the host - or something like that.>>>

This isn't exactly true. I have travelled a lot, and so have some of my friends- and we're vegetarians. When we were invited to a local's house for dinner, we made sure they knew about what we would/wouldn't eat before accepting the invitation. As long as people know why you aren't eating something, they are usually quite gracious. And of course in restaurants there is never this issue.

I also fly alone quite often: Ottawa - Paris, Ottawa - California, etc.Although it's moreboring, it does give you time to sleep, and catch up with work/reading (you know, if you're one of those lucky people who can read in a moving vehicle). I usually request a window seat because I find it easier to relax- but you may find an aisle seat preferable for the fact that it's easier to get up and walk around. If you do end up feeling a little nauseous, head to the bathroom for a minute or two. I find that it calms me down, and I am able to assess what 'type' of nausea it is....and if it's vomitting nausea, I can do it there without havingthe entire plane as an audience.

As for having someone around for support.....I think there inevitably comes a time in everyone's life when they realize that others can only do so much, andthat you need to develop the inner strength to support yourself. You need to be your own biggest fan

Good luck!!!

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wow you've survived med as an emet? This is an incredible inspiration to me, I'm a struggling dental student lol!

Well done on that for starters!

I say also, go for it, can you imagine how amazing that trip would be? And how good you would feel that you actually went through with it? I suggest you don't pass up this amazing opportunity. You will be working with other people and will make friends as ontariogirl said, so you will develop a support system over the time you are away.

Best of luck to you! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Let us know what your decision is
    I traded my dreams for this mess of memories,
    And they just stopped working for me.

Thanks all of you for your supportive messages. I know deep down that I should do it, asI shouldn't let emet influence my choice of destination too much. I want to go to a developing country because it's a lot more hands on and I know it will be good for me to see just how lucky I am!!

junglemonkey - I don't know what year you're in, but I bet you will be fine. Good on you for doing dentistry!! Are you studying in London?

Thanks again all of you. I feel so much better already.