Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
emetophobiaeraser 468x60

Default Just got a gym membership..now nervous

Hi everyone!
    So recently I got a gym membership and I am due to go for my first training session on Friday, however I am a little worried about all the different handles and equipment I will have to interact with. My main concern is that someone who has been sick would have touched the equipment before I did, and that I will catch the sickness. Even though I would wash my hands, I'm also worried that if I check my phone or grab my bag during my workout that the illness will transfer to those items. Has anyone ever been sick by catching something at the gym? Is it common? Just a little worried about it :')
    Thanks!

Default Re: Just got a gym membership..now nervous

I always wipe my phone down with a Lysol wipe when I get home from the gym. And I keep my hands away from my face while there.

Most people take a few days to recover after having a stomach virus in general, especially from the gym. Regardless, so long as you aren't touching the equipment and putting your fingers in your mouth, you couldn't ingest it anyway. No different than when you're handling grocery cart handles, doorknobs, etc.
    - Nikki

Recovered emetophobic since March 2015
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am a personal trainer, I work in a gym and have never picked up a bug there.
    However, I wash my hands frequently, watch what I eat and I don't touch my face.

Keep your hygiene up and you will be fine...enjoy your training