Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Worst situation has come true

I have only v* twice in my life, once was induced by drug when I was 5, the last time I did was when I was 7. Ever since then, I've come close to, but either was able to avoid it, or never materialized. One of the things I feared the most was getting a sickness in my stomach that would make me v*.

My fear has come true and I have been suffering for 2 years and I still cannot make myself go through with it. I have been diagnosed with having heliobacter pylori, or h pylori for short. This bacteria lives in the stomach and is able survive the extreme environment of the stomach. It destroys the lining that protects the cells in the stomach and exposes them to acid which in turn causes ulcers and if untreated may cause cancer. I must take antibiotics to kill this thing, but of course since I have a fear of v* I have been avoiding taking them for almost 2 years. The combination I must take is 1g of amoxicillin, 500mg of clarithromycin and 20mg of Omeprazole twice a day for 14 days.

I need your help if you can spare it please. I know this fear is unreasonable, but I can't bring myself to accept what has to occur in order for me to get better.
    I have done some therapy, but still I'm struggling. I have the drugs in my cabinet, but when I pull them out to take them my fear forces me to put them back. I have heard that taking probiotics while taking antibiotics may help with the side effects. Does anyone recommended a specific brand? Also if you've taken any of these antibiotics, or have had the same condition, is there anything you can recommend to reduce my chances of getting n* and v*ing?

Thank you for all your advice in advance.

Default Re: Worst situation has come true

I work at an urgent care, and we prescribe antibiotics all the time. We have complaints about other meds that we prescribe, but I haven't had anyone say anything about antibiotics making them sick. I've been on them numerous times and never even had a thought of nausea.

Live cultures are good, maybe find a brand of yummy yogurt that you like and eat one every day while on the antibiotics.

Amoxicillin is one of the most widely prescribed antibiotics due to its superior effectiveness and minimal side effects. I don’t think you have anything to worry about there.
    I don’t know much about clarithromycin but if it’s like any of the other -mycin drugs you are also looking at very minimal side effects.
    As far as I am aware, omeprazole is just an over the counter drug that decreases discomfort due to acid reflux, heartburn, etc.
    I think giving these meds a try is your best bet. Maybe try the least scary ones first, and gradually introduce them all. Also make sure the pills you have are not expired - prescription drugs have a 1 year shelf life after they have been filled.
    Best of luck.

my sister had this and went through the antibiotics for it, not gonna lie she said it did make her feel sick but she never v* from it. and when it's done, you will feel SO much better having that bacteria out of your system! eat yogurt with it and that'll help a lot.

I’ve been on both those antibiotics and was fine It caused me a mild upset tummy but not n* at all...more so felt like rocks just sitting in there, but not once did it cause me any worry - it wasn’t that sort of upset tummy. It can cause d* in some folks but if you’re taking probiotics or yogurt you probably won’t have any side effects