Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Just got a gym membership..now nervous

Hi everyone!
    So recently I got a gym membership and I am due to go for my first training session on Friday, however I am a little worried about all the different handles and equipment I will have to interact with. My main concern is that someone who has been sick would have touched the equipment before I did, and that I will catch the sickness. Even though I would wash my hands, I'm also worried that if I check my phone or grab my bag during my workout that the illness will transfer to those items. Has anyone ever been sick by catching something at the gym? Is it common? Just a little worried about it :')
    Thanks!

Default Re: Just got a gym membership..now nervous

I always wipe my phone down with a Lysol wipe when I get home from the gym. And I keep my hands away from my face while there.

Most people take a few days to recover after having a stomach virus in general, especially from the gym. Regardless, so long as you aren't touching the equipment and putting your fingers in your mouth, you couldn't ingest it anyway. No different than when you're handling grocery cart handles, doorknobs, etc.

I am a personal trainer, I work in a gym and have never picked up a bug there.
    However, I wash my hands frequently, watch what I eat and I don't touch my face.

Keep your hygiene up and you will be fine...enjoy your training

Hey there I used to go to the gym frequently for almost 6 months, never caught anything. It's kind of a common rule/thought i guess to people that exercising while they aren't well makes the illness worse, therefore most people wait until they are completely better before going back to the gym. Plus who want to exercise when they aren't well? They would all be lying in bed. Most gyms have a cleaning spray and/or wipes to wipe down your equipment after you use it. Some people may not use this after they use a machine so what you should do is wipe your machine with the spray/wipe BEFORE and after use just to make sure. If there is no spray/wipes you should bring your own to be safe. Wipe your phone screen or any personal equipment you have brought too if you are concerned about it.you will be just fine dear have fun working out

I don't think I have ever caught anything from my gym except for maybe a cold (sometimes hard to avoid airborne stuff). However, I do carry my gym bag around with me and it does constantly touch the floor. When I get in my car, I put it on the floor mats and when I get home I leave it in my garage. Also, at the gym I will sanitize equipment before I use it just incase the person before me didn't, but if I am extra cautious I will use hand sanitizer between equipment (my gym has it available on the walls). When I am about to leave, I make sure the thoroughly wash my hands before I leave and after that's complete I remove my headphones (don't want to get near my face with dirty hands). So far, so good. Just be diligent and also like others were saying, most people do not go to the gym when they are ill or even days after. Also you can wipe all that stuff down like once a week just to be sure.