Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Nightmares about it

I've been having really distressing nightmares about it recently. Sorry, I'm new so I'm not sure of which words and how much I should censor, but I will censor the words v* and similar words anyway.

So I have dreams about encountering piles of v* where I walk. I also have nightmares about a family member having to v* and giving us a warning so I can run out of the house while it happens. Sometimes I have dreams where I'm nauseous because I'm on a roller coaster or something moving very fast.

The thing about these nightmares, however, is that I'm more scared of v* in the dreams than I am in real life. It's a relief, but it also makes me wonder why I have this horrible fear of v* wired deep inside my subconscious. If I could somehow figure out more maybe I could even overcome this fear, hopefully.

Another thing that scares me about my sleep is sometimes I wake up n*. It makes me wonder if you can dream about v* and your body will actually do it. If so, that's terrifying and I'm terrified.

Default Re: Nightmares about it

Let me start off by saying, dreaming about v* will not make you v*. Your body will only do so when it seriously needs to, it doesn't want to waste precious food or energy. When you're sick, thats a given. You can make yourself v* from being extremely scared, because when your body feels the need to invoke its fight or flight mechanism, having a lot of food in your stomach can slow you down. Thats the science behind it anyway. You may wake up n* because your brain is still very anxious from the dream you had. It could be you have an empty stomach and that is making you feel unwell but I'm willing to bet the images from your dream are bothering both your sleeping brain and awake brain so much that whenever you wake from this dream the worry carries over into a physical symptom that you notice.
    Many psychologists believe the purpose of dreams is, in part, to prepare you for possible situations in the future. Dreams are often extreme because your brain wants to prepare for those extreme cases where you may encounter v* and need to react. Emotions tend to be more exaggerated along with these future predictions. There is a possibility that your brain has repressed something in your memories related to v*, people aren't conditioned into such fears without an experience to base them on. Hypnosis can help with those repressed memories, as well as your correlation between v* and fear or danger. Of course that's never been proven to be completely effective, but in my opinion, almost anything is worth a try with this phobia.
    I hope I was able to address some of what has been bothering you to a satisfactory amount. Message me absolutely anytime if you need help!!!