Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default 8 yr old daughter with OCD Emetophobia symptoms

Hi everyone, I’m in need of help. My 8 year old daughter has always had sensory and anxiety and ocd symptoms but we’ve always been able to deal with them and she’s lived a fairly normal life, does very well in school, plays soccer, and has friends. Her main issue the past couple years has been fear of throwing up in school. It started when she saw a girl throw up in class and her teacher wasn’t nice about it so my daughter was constantly scared she would throw up and was always asking me if I thought she would. I didn’t realize at the time this was ocd. Well it’s gotten much worse this past week when another girl threw up in school and she hasn’t been wanting to eat much and then yesterday she got the 24 hour stomach flu and threw up like 10x . I thought this might actually help her like exposure therapy but she seems to be even more scared now and thinks she’s going to throw up anything she eats and is constantly asking me if I think she’ll throw up and saying she thinks she’ll throw up and has like a panic attack about it. I’m sitting her incredibly scared that this will take over her life and she won’t be able to eat much and become malnourished or be able to do anything. We hadn’t taken her to a dr or therapist for it before because like I said we were handling it and it wasn’t TOO bad. So I told my husband we need to call her Dr. and make an apt. Because I have no idea how to find a good therapist. I’m just feeling so scared right now. 😭😭😭 Can anyone give me tips or hope?

Default Re: 8 yr old daughter with OCD Emetophobia symptoms

I live in the UK so I don't know how you'd go about getting help (I'm guessing you're America?)
    I do firmly believe that the sooner you get help the better. She's very young so with good help I'm sure she can make a full recovery.

Default Re: 8 yr old daughter with OCD Emetophobia symptoms

Have you heard of the Thrive programme?