Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Chances of getting sick?

Honestly, I’m being taken over by my fear big time. Most of it is due to living with family who don’t, nor do they care to, understand my fear.

I’m currently at my aunt’s house & I was not allowed to drink from my old glass I used to have when I lived there. Instead? I had to drink from a plastic cup.

The issue with that is the fact I’ve touched my phone, which I would use after touching many dirty things such as my shoes, the door knobs, the walls & chairs outside, the fences, etc, before touching the cups. Because I didn’t like seeing these tiny spots on the bottom of the cups, I’d add it back to the stack of cups, transferring any potential salmonella or E. Coli I possibly had on my hand to the bottom of the inside of the cup by placing it inside another one.

I can’t remember how long ago that was. I came over here on my 18th Birthday a bit less than two weeks ago but I remember I used my blue glass that my aunt told me to use during the time I lived there to drink but I remember going through those plastic cups first & if salmonella can survive for 4 weeks (some sources say hours, some say weeks), I want to avoid it until then. I had no choice this time but to drink from the plastic cups so now I’m in fear that I’m going to get sick.

I wish gastrointestinal sicknesses didn’t exist. I wish I wasn’t living this way, but the lack of support or respect I get doesn’t help me either..

Default Re: Chances of getting sick?

I seriously doubt you'll get anything.
    You probably have a better immunity than you think and your body can easily handle any germs that might be on the cups. It's highly unlikely anything other than everyday germs your body is used to is on the cups.

Default Re: Chances of getting sick?

I agree with horsewoman... You'll be just fine...I totally get you though, I was shocked to find out that Ecoli was easy to get (even though it apparently already lives on our system)